iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood sales this season.

Started by deerslayer, January 11, 2016, 01:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: starmac on December 21, 2017, 05:33:35 PM
With the new regulations against burning wood, or any other solid fuel, all the firewood guys I know are reporting weaker sales, and it will only get worse as they start enforcing the issue.
I do not anybody that has actually been fined yet, but do have a close friend that got a certified warning letter, that claims he will be fined 1000 bucks the next time they see smoke out of his chimney on a cold day.

I frankly just don't believe things like this.  All old stoves are always grandfathered.  EPA does not regulate what people can burn.  If he has such a letter I'd sure like to see it until then ..i am sceptic that such a thing exist.

They do regulate how new stoves are built.  In some towns the local govts have tried to reduce woodstove smoke by offering big incentives to upgrade stoves.  I believe states up in the NE have several such programs.  They don't worry about existing home owners though, they want the process to be incentive based, new much more efficient stoves at big subsidy.  Win for the buyer and the local air.  I'm the only one around burning wood but it does smell a bit and I have a newish Lopi insert with good secondary burning and all. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: OH logger on December 23, 2017, 07:09:07 PM
just hauled the last semi load away yesterday and gonna start bustin up more wood Tuesday  ;D.  officially sinse last February 1st I sold 543 full cord. still I have lots of people callin for wood and when I tell them I'm sold out they are not happy. oh well.  great year and glad to be done...well for a little bit. 2 customers I wholesale to want lots of wood as soon as its ready so they can start putting it up for next year. and the cycle of life continues...  :)

Wow that is darn impressive.  I have a harvest planned with 400 or so cord of oak/hickory and I need to find a home for it. 
Liking Walnut

OH logger

Quote from: nativewolf on December 23, 2017, 09:08:49 PM
Quote from: OH logger on December 23, 2017, 07:09:07 PM
just hauled the last semi load away yesterday and gonna start bustin up more wood Tuesday  ;D.  officially sinse last February 1st I sold 543 full cord. still I have lots of people callin for wood and when I tell them I'm sold out they are not happy. oh well.  great year and glad to be done...well for a little bit. 2 customers I wholesale to want lots of wood as soon as its ready so they can start putting it up for next year. and the cycle of life continues...  :)

Wow that is darn impressive.  I have a harvest planned with 400 or so cord of oak/hickory and I need to find a home for it. 

haul it up here and ill try to get rid of it for you...I wont even charge you!!  :D
john

dannyrc

Sold out of dry firewood a month early this year. Going to try to double up next year. Started buying 16" dia. logs from a logger this year for next year. I work for a farm service and in winter I am a propane serviceman, so I don't have a lot of time to chase down wood. I have sold around 30 - 40 cord a year. Wanting to at least double that.

bozzaa69

Quote from: starmac on December 21, 2017, 05:33:35 PM
With the new regulations against burning wood, or any other solid fuel, all the firewood guys I know are reporting weaker sales, and it will only get worse as they start enforcing the issue.
I do not anybody that has actually been fined yet, but do have a close friend that got a certified warning letter, that claims he will be fined 1000 bucks the next time they see smoke out of his chimney on a cold day.
I've heard of that in Massachusetts also. Anyone ever came to my place cause they saw smoke out my chimney, I'd chase them the hell off my property. I'm in NH, and around where I live, anyone trying to fine you for smoke out the chimney would be considered a joke, and would be laughed at.                                                                                                                                                                   

starmac

The newest laws, while they do have some to do with epa, epa stoves has nothing to do with it, and NOTHING is grandfathered in, period.
We had a few years where they were subsidizing new epa approved stoves, now they have passed laws to the effect that on certain days and weather conditions causes no burn at all days. This is for all solid fuel, not just wood, it includes wood pellets, coal, and waste oil.

This laws covers the borough (think county) not just in town.

There are also new laws governing the sale of firewood, from what I understand. These include keeping records of who you sell to and the moisture percentage of said wood, among other things.

I don't see it ever happening, but the way I read the law, you can be in a hunting camp 30 miles from a road and be fined if caught burning wood on certain days, or burning wood with over 20% moisture any day.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!