iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding of the deer

Started by thecfarm, December 30, 2018, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I would, and have, allow someone to come and get a deer, no problem at all - even carried out one of a pair of hounds last week when they got lifted by the cow fence and found shelter under a planter, the owner saw on his tracker they had shut down in the field and came and found me, but the key is you ask me first - this is my castle, like you I have served and earned the right to call it mine and nobody will persuade me otherwise.  I am not going to enter into the back yard of another without permission unless there is some sort of imminent and real harm I am trying to stop and I demand the same respect from others.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

frazman

New here and thought I'd add to this thread. 

I've been feeding deer on my property for few years now. I'm in somewhat in a remote area with few neighbours and I like it that way. I give deer a variety of pulse like Faba beans, soy beans, peas, lentils and grains but no corn. All depend what I have on hand. 

Been looking at the deer and how the act around the feed. What I have noticed is that deer will come and eat only for a short while and then go off and finish the night in my hay field.

I spread the feed and always careful not to pile the feed. Feeding the deer help them during winter months but I try to make sure they aren't dependent on my feed. Just a little help to keep them healthy.

Anyway, just my 2 cents... ;D

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, frazman!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

braucher

Don't be an "armchair biologist ," get the facts, gather intelligence on your property and implement a plan. Supplemental feeding is definitely a good thing, but not a substitute for good habitat management.  IMHO  :P ;D

thecfarm

You are right about the way they eat. 
When times was better,I would go out in the day light hours and feed too. Still was not a hugh amount with the amount of deer coming. During daylight hours 2-3-4-5-6 at a time would come and eat. Stay 10-15 minutes and wander off. About 20 minutes later repeat. And so on all day. People would come over and visit and be bummed out,no deer. I would tell them to keep watching,they will come out. And they would.
Seem like at night is when they come all at once.  
They still have horns.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

The rangers at camp always tell the boys not to feed the chip monks.  i think in the summer is not a bad deal, the critters will not loose all their wild instincts that fast.  In town with all the roads and buildings, we are devistating habitat and nature way worse than feeding a few deer. We feed the squirrels some, and have not seen the numbers dropping off.  maybe we just compensate for the fact that we have cleared square miles of natural habitat to build houses and roads.  Only seems fair!

bon_fire

this is my corn cob feeder modeled after my 850 John Deer.  When they eat, it looks like they are driving the tractor.

Love ERC.  blends with nature, have tons in Ks.

Have never eaten squirrel but my dad told me it looks like chicken.  i would if I had to.  At least when i hit one (accidentally) with my truck, not as much damage.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Oh my, I remember the times when if we had not eaten squirrel, we would not have eaten.  They were the only thing between us and hungry.  Squirrel, rabbits, and bullfrogs.  We carried the possums and coons to the sharecropper because that family needed to eat too.

There were no deer nor turkeys back then which was in the 50's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Doc - tell me you didn't use metal to fasten that beautiful feeder to that one day sawmill log in your picture!!  :o
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

That's why they are called Yard Trees. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pulphook

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2019, 05:36:26 PM
Oh my, I remember the times when if we had not eaten squirrel, we would not have eaten.  They were the only thing between us and hungry.  Squirrel, rabbits, and bullfrogs.  We carried the possums and coons to the sharecropper because that family needed to eat too.

There were no deer and turkeys back then which was in the 50's.
A local friend who bow hunts on our place loves "Maine squirrel pie". It needs besides a .22, at least 6-12 gray squirrels. Not much meat in 1.
Just thought you'd like to know.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2019, 05:36:26 PM

There were no deer and turkeys back then which was in the 50's.
I got out of the service and returned to Missouri, where, in the first deer season I had been in, I killed a doe.  Within a week I received letters from the county judge congratulating me for the first deer killed in the county since the '30's.  Paper ran an article on it.  The south ate dang near all the critters going into the '40's.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

Southside. there is one wood screw in each feeder in a couple of elm trees.  If I mill (and i hope they stand for the next 25 years so I won't) them, I know where the metal is.  if not, some other poor bass tard will have to change a blade. lol.   do you have a better suggestion???  .   :D  .  These are in my back yard.  We love to watch and it entertains our dogs as well.  if times are tough, we at least have a nest egg of meat.  I almost feel I owe it to my dad to try it.   fudd-smiley
all in fun, thanks for the words of caution. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Quote from: doc henderson on January 12, 2019, 08:22:02 PMdo you have a better suggestion??

I have read on these very pages of someone who was being paid to have a log sawn and when the sawyer struck metal and was adding up the cost of the replacement bands, that he admitted he was the one to put the metal in the trees!!  So just saying.....  Maybe someone can come up with a hard poly / plastic screw that would work in such an application.  Won't be a structural solution but it could "save the planet" - or in the very least prevent a few bad words from being mumbled after the loud "Zing".  arg-smiley

Oh and it's Elm!!  Man oh man - that band is gonna climb like the squirrel with your dog in hot pursuit after that strike!!   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

gotcha!!!  great idea on the poly screw.

sling_shot

mike_belben

Drywall augers.  They also work great to replace all your missing pop fastener in the fenderwell or on you broken ATV fenders
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

I have put screws in trees to hold feeders!

I check them once in a while and if they start to imbed, I get my cordless and back them out a couple turns or move them to another spot!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gaproperty

On jan 12 I took photos of deer crossing the ice 2 km away. I knew they were headed to our homestead. Jan 18 they landed in our field to yard for the winter. Hopefully more is on their way. We usually have 10 to 15 deer. Next summer I am hoping to make a food plot and a guy up the road is shooting coyotes. Hopefully we will increase the herd. Here is a documentary of the deer in my area.  I don't feed by putting one pile of apples.  The deer here have access to rose hips, apple orchard and grass,  Next year I will plant several acres of chicory, cloves and turnip. This will help the deer because it is spread over several acres.  

Below is a deer documentary of the deer in our area.  

A deer documentary
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

braucher

Anyone going to any hinge cutting for food end of Jan or Feb  .
I am planning some edge cutting and some bedding areas.
:new_year:

mike_belben

Hinge cut now.  The deer need all the food they can find to survive.  Maple and black gum are among their favorites.  Oaks will do, poplar they wont touch. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Strange about your deer not eating poplar. They love the leaves when I cut them here in the summer. The old does will even park their fawns in the tops and limbs where they are close when they are eating. I never noticed if they ate the tips or such but I assumed they did. My mule and horse strip the bark off the poplar, ash and some basswood tops and limbs I dragged down last week.

I throw hay out to the horse and mule every day and am surprised the deer don't touch that but they are browsers not grazers so they don't care for the grass in the hay. The turkeys will be going through it in the next few weeks getting seeds and worms. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

A nice score today. We have a restaurant right next door,we share the same dumpster. I went to throw something away and saw 2 boxes of apples!!! I would guess 2 bushels. They won't last long,but they will enjoy the apples.
The deer still have horns.

Southside

Poplar bark is known as a natural wormer for cattle and horses, I would guess the same is true for deer. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

The leaves are preferred feed when they are green too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Its probably like firewood, people with oak wont bend over to pick up a piece of pine.  Go to the NW and its normal heating wood.  I imagine deer tastebuds are regional.  I hinge cut a lot of material and really made a study of activity the past two years.  Gum, sourwood and red maple get chewed to nubs in my yard.  Ive never seen a poplar hingecut with a bud missing.  Theyve all grown to have multi leaders popping up along the trunk.  

As for grasses, they feed in the pasture behind me every evening once acorns are gone.  If thats snowed/iced over then i see branch tips get hammered on my hingecuts.  

Praise The Lord

Jemclimber

Quote from: Southside logger on January 12, 2019, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on January 12, 2019, 08:22:02 PMdo you have a better suggestion??

Raptor, Senco, and maybe a few others make a nail gun that will shoot composite nails and staples. They're great for the spoil board on a CNC, not to having to worry about running a tool into metal is a nice feature. They can be cut and sanded with damaging anything.

They aren't real cheap so a person probably wouldn't buy one without having another reason to.

lt15

Thank You Sponsors!