iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is the type of wood I work with

Started by alsayyed, May 29, 2007, 05:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello to everyone. Many people at the net ask them about what type of tree do you have in Qatar. So today I have took my camera and decided to take these photos. The wood spices that I am displaying here are very hard wood I mean hard I have to run this on my jointer twice or three times in order to get it smooth.
Maybe eucalyptus SP. most eucalyptus grows in Australia or part of Africa. So if you have any clue let me know.

Ianab

Total guesswork..

But the first board looks like an acacia species, related to Tasmanian blackwood or Koa?
Second board may be a Eucalypt species, but there are so many it's hard to tell without more info.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

More guesswork...

The one on the left looks a bit like olive wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

alsayyed

Ian i think your gussing is about 80% becuase i heard this before but not sure .
regarding the second gussing it is olive. Olive do not grow in Qatar people have tried but not coming is good of other countries.

DWM II

Alsayyed, I dont know what it is but it sure looks nice. :). The one on the right kinda looks like walnut to me.
Thanks for the pics.
Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

treecyclers

On the left appears to be olive, but the one on the right is definitely eucalyptus.
I cut that by the ton, and it looks identical to what I have.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

alsayyed

Quote from: treecyclers on June 01, 2007, 03:21:12 PM
, but the one on the right is definitely eucalyptus.
I cut that by the ton, and it looks identical to what I have.
Superdave

thank you for the reply. could you tell what is the eucalyptus used for. i have asked people tell only for the shade. it this true.

treecyclers

Eucalyptus have a few different uses.
It's used for medicines, aroma therapy, and herbalistics.
I use it for furniture, turning stock, and firewood.
It's very hard, it's a pain in the hiney to dry effectively, and is murderous on tooling.
Conversely, it's beautiful, takes a finish very nicely, and the majority of what I get is highly figured in the AAA-AAAAA range. I have even had a few pieces of "Holy COW!" figure too.
That would be something of a 100% pommelle figure in a 12'x28" board.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

TexasTimbers

alsayyed, how about showing us some Lebanon Cedar. Does any of it grow there in Qatar?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

This might help. I loaded it as an HTML, so I don't know if there are photos. It seems various Acacia and Euc. are most prominent species.

http://www.icarda.org/APRP/PDF/New%20PDFs/racoll/Qatar.pdf.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!