iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230 transfer case/ brakes disassembly help

Started by madmari, January 06, 2011, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I took off the brake drum on a TJ 230 due to a grease leak and I'd like to replace the seal. There are 5 studs w 3/4" nuts holding on the brake plate that are overly tight. I can't budge them with a ratchet- are they left hand thread? I can put a pipe over the ratchet for more torque, but don't want to break the studs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

doghunter

i agree with rickf
also its a lot easier to put all the brake springs and shoes on at home on a work bench with the brake plate removed from the machine just my opinion from my experience
doghunter

bushmechanic

Another good trick when heating is not an option is to get a punch and hammer the flat sides of the nut,this will stretch the metal and in turn loosen the nut.If is a larger nut don't be afraid to hit it hard. 

logging22

Have 3 TJ skidders with the same brake setup. Put brakes on them frequently (the help is hard on brakes). I have never broken a stud or stripped a nut on them. Just put a little more on it with a pipe or impact. Shouldnt hurt.

madmari

Got it off and back together. Brakes are working good. Put in a new (National) seal. It looks like a lot better seal than the Chicago Rawhide seal I took off.
  The whole problem was caused by a loose main shaft nut- caused play in the shaft and eventual seal failure.
Thanks for the help!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Thank You Sponsors!