iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2017

Started by Magicman, October 01, 2017, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, it's another year and time to start thinking about Deer Hunting.  My prep activities during the past several weeks have included bushhogging, herbicide spraying, subsoiling, disking, and finally planting this past week.

We also did some needed low limb tree trimming and fallen tree removal from some of the trails.  This work will continue when Marty and I return from Colorado the end of the month.

Our Archery Season opened yesterday and a Grandson took this yearling meat Doe fairly early.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

The same Grandson took a tall 8 point this morning with his bow.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

hes going to shoot them all MM  :D   that 8 point is tall  8)

drobertson

nice harvest,,,,,,,,,,, that young buck is a dandy!!
he has some mast, any idea on the age?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Young buck, my guess would be 2½ years old.  This buck was taken on my leased property (300 acres) where the adjoining landowners have no particular age/size management program.  Legal is all that matters.

Magicman

I finally finished my bushhogging yesterday and a Grandson spent yesterday afternoon trimming overhanging limbs on most of the trails.  I did not get any trail cameras out this year but the bucks are really scrapping.

Our gun season opens Saturday the 18th.

Magicman

PatD opted to pass on this buck this evening.  He was feeding at ~150 yards and we watched him for 15-20 minutes.

He is an 8 point probably 14" inside spread.  The G2's looked to be ~8".  Just a good solid fairly heavy antlered probably 2½ years old.  Today was his lucky day.

LaneC

Yep, lucky is correct :), around here that is huge, and I assure you, within 15-20 minutes, at least 20 bullets would have been heading his way :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

I wish that he had not been in the shadows and the picture would have done him justice.

Magicman

Here is a buck that a Grandson opted not to shoot:
https://youtu.be/qrO8Ie-shjs
Probably a 2½ year old.

Magicman

No pictures but a Granddaughter just called.  She and her husband took three does yesterday and today.  They saw some bucks but opted for the does.   smiley_thumbsup

coxy

they taste much better than a buck to  ;D

Magicman

We saw 7 deer this evening, all bucks.  Two nice ones.

Magicman

One buck came out this evening and then a coyote and that was that.   :-\

Chuck White

I would have taken that coyote out!    :rifle:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

That's what I did first evening of rifle season last year. First coyote I've seen in the woods when I had a gun along. Was a young one weighed 23 lbs. I'v let bears, foxes and bobcats go but not as tolerant with a coyote.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I kept hoping for a shot but fleeting glimpses is all that I got.

coxy

was talking to different people this year that shot bears and they all said the bears came in to a fawn bleat

Magicman

I saw 6 deer this morning, 3 bucks, and then guess what showed up?

Today was not her lucky day.

Magicman

The evening deer are moving soooo late.  We finally saw 8 this evening with two bucks; the largest was a tall either 4 or 6 depending upon whether there were brow tines.  Too late for us to tell.

It is hot and dry, but we are forecast for some weather the middle of the week.  Maybe I can get some nitrate out and hoping for some rain.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Sounds like maybe hunter pressure or other factors are making them go nocturnal. Congrats on the coyote. Don;t know what you are doing/did with the hide. Up here I'd sell it to my hide buyer who also gets all my old deer hides and even a road killed mink last year (which did not thrill my wife).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I would say that it is more weather and moon related because there has been no deer scaring activity in the 400 acre Spring Hollow/Strawfield area.  Where the does were shot last weekend by the Grands was in a separate 40 acre section of the property.

Chuck White

Deer travel patterns are really weird in this area this year!

I don't think the rut has really kicked in yet either, and tomorrow is the last day of the regular rifle season!   :-\

Maybe it's a climate change thing, warm weather and no snow!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Our deer season continues in one form or the other until the end of January.  Rifles are allowed on Private property through the "Primitive Weapon" season.

trapper

Got a doe last Tuesday in our muzzle loader season. We can hunt with one weapon or another (bow gun muzzle loader) from middle of September to middle of January.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!