iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me LT40 Super

Started by barbender, September 18, 2010, 10:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 97 LT40 Super, Lombardini diesel. It was a bit neglected, I don't know if the previous owner knew what maintainence was, but it only has 1050 hours so I think I'll be OK. I have been wrestling with a few gremlins it had from sitting, mainly the up/down motor had gotten some moisture in it, I had a heck of a time getting it apart to clean it up. Works now, I put brushes in it too. Also had to get a new gear motor for the debarker in/out, it got loaded with water and was shot. Finally got it back together tonight just before dark and sawed a couple of logs, it is going to take me a little while to learn my way around this animal :). Going from my shop built all manual band mill to this is quite a step up, everything happens a bit faster with this machine 8) I can see the boards a'flyin off this once I get used to it. I still have to go through and re-align the bed, adjust the wear pads on the mast,etc. Basically anything that should have been done in the first thousand hours of operation.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill!

Just take your time and do things the right way!

Your owners manual should have step-by-step directions for doing a complete sawmill alignment.

You'll really like the mill once you start learning all of the ins and outs of running it!

Good luck and remember that the Wood-Mizer folks will help you as well as lots of people right here on Forestry Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

StephenRice

Congratulations on your new mill!  I bet you will look back after all of the rehab work is done and be glad that you made the choice that you did.  That should be a really great mill.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

paul case

congrats barbender, sounds like a great deal. but you know we like pictures and for the most part we can read them better than this print.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

barbender

I know, I was so excited to finally get to put it to wood that I didn't get any pics before dark ::) I'll get some tomorrow.

Magicman

Well, congratulations on your new baby.  Mine had sat idle for a year when I bought it.  You'll have everything in working order very soon.  I'm anxious to see pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weisyboy

so selfish forgeting to take pictures dont you ever think of others. :D
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Dangerous_Dan

I recently bought the same machine and it had 750 hrs.
Same type of deal, low maintenance but mine was stored indoors.
Needed to change the carrage bearings, main drive chain, drive sprocket, shaft and bearings, all the bearings in the debarker and more.
Most important thing is to get all the adjustments in the right spot.
An LT40 is like a radio control helicopter, there are a lot of adjustments and they all need to be right or you will not be having fun.

DD
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Slingshot

Yea, people with hydraulics have more fun than anybody so I am planning to add some to
the 1995 LT30 that I bought this past spring. I put a electric winch on the log turner and I load
with a tractor but still would like some hydraulics. I bought it through woodmizer in Missouri that was selling
it for a customer. Only had 205 hours and had sat for about 3 years indoors. Woodmizer shop had
given it a going over to make sure it was running and cutting OK and it has been doing great. Only put
about 40 more hours on it.
   I'm in the process now of building a 4-1/2 foot extension on it to make it think it's an LT40. Making it
removable so as not to change the original machine.

Barbender, you have a great wood cutting machine.  :)

______________________-

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations now you never will run out of things to do   smile_juggle smile_juggle smile_juggle smile_juggle Be sure to check the main drive bearing fluid level it depends on a plastic hose not leaking  smiley_lit_bulb smiley_lit_bulb smiley_lit_bulb
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Wow!-it has been awhile since I uploaded any pics, I'll see how this works

This is the mill it is replacing, quite a step up in performance you can see!

barbender

By the way, I started off looking at LT15's, I figured it was a lot the same as my simple saw but I wouldn't be tinkering on it. Somehow I ended up with this ::) ::).Time to start that custom sawing business I guess :)

paul case

looks great barbender,
pretty straight  and not all scarred up good deal i would say. what you gonna do with the other mill? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Not only did your picture uploading work, the mill looks nice also.  Looks like you did well.   That baby needs to make some sawdust.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!