iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562XP Upgrades 2015.

Started by HolmenTree, September 16, 2015, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine Ridge

Holmentree looks like you put it right where it needed to go. Three weeks ago i cut a black oak for a friend, tree was about 18" dbh, in his yard and leaning over his outside wood furnace. I bored it and put two wedges in the backcut, cut out a v and jacked it over with a 20 ton bottle jack. About midway through cutting out the v he asked me if i was nervous, as he'd never saw this done before. I laughed and said no i'm not nervous, its not my furnace. It all went as planned, now we both laugh about it, but at the time he was very nervous.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

HolmenTree

I definitely agree it takes a certain level of confidence to safely fell a tree within a residential setting.  Most commonly attained from years of logging experience,  something the arborist who ends up climbing the tree doesn't have.

But that's where similarities ends......as logging felling techniques with hydraulic jacks etc. stays in the forest.
Not practical in urban tree removal. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

49er

I don't cut trees that could damage someone else's property. I know my limitations.
;)
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on October 15, 2015, 04:15:31 PM
I don't cut trees that is could damage someone else's property. I know my limitations.
;)
Haha, I have no choice but to be in business to remove other people's trees. Best paying occupation I've ever had too BTW.
So I just keep on doing it.  ;D

Pine Ridge

I know my limitations also, if i wasn't certain i could cut the tree without damaging his property it would still be standing.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

49er

;)
[/quote]
Haha, I have no choice but to be in business to remove other people's trees. Best paying occupation I've ever had too BTW.
So I just keep on doing it.  ;D

[/quote]
Does it pay better than logging?
If I were in the tree removal business I would target areas like the east end of Louisville. Ya need to work where the money is. :D
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

A little training and experience using a Bigshot slingshot with 2 mm throw line on a 14oz weight bag will get any guyline or pull rope up into the top of any tree while you're standing on the ground.

A 3 ton cast iron ratchet puller, Maasdam rope puller or a truck pulling the " right size" rope on a block or pulley redirect will get any tree down.

But knowing how to do the "stick trick" to measure a tree's height to fit the lay space is your first limitation.
Judging side lean and using a drywall T square to gunsight  the face cut to target finishes the job.

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on October 16, 2015, 09:23:32 AM
;)
Does it pay better than logging?
If I were in the tree removal business I would target areas like the east end of Louisville. Ya need to work where the money is. :D

Yes 49er it does pay better then logging. I should have gotten into arborist work a lot earlier then I did.
But I'm very thankyou of my experience logging as a faller and skidder operator,  without that I would have a lot less experience today.

I've heard stories of tree guys in the big city earning in the 6 figures a year doing seasonal work working solo with just a pickup truck , chainsaw and some climbing gear.....that was 20 years ago. I guess if you're in a customer base with about a million people anythings possible.

Last month in our nearby lakeside cottage neighborhoods I had a customer hire me to remove a 60 ft cottonwood heavily leaning over her garage.
She showed me a quote a big city power line clearance contractor gave her to just get it on the ground with their bucket truck. ........ $1500 :o no cleanup!
I got it safely on the ground just standing on the ground the way I explained in my last post for $300 and took me 20 minutes.
She was happy enough to give me another  $1000 bucks of work to finish the afternoon off with ............I earned about as much with another customer earlier that morning.
Just putting trees on the ground, no bucking or cleanup.
In our city all my jobs mostly include cleanup where I then use my chipper and stump grinder.

Forget logging, leave the forest and head to the cities, towns or cottage country :)

49er

Good post Holmen. The money my be in the city but I won't live there.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on October 16, 2015, 12:07:01 PM
Good post Holmen. The money my be in the city but I won't live there.
Thanks 49er,  I couldn't live in the big city either. My city is only about 14,000 and that's big enough for me.

Sorry everyone for my long winded derail....I decided to take some time off to finish up some outdoor work before winter sets in.
Will get back to the 562xp upgrade in a bit.

HolmenTree

Found some time to get the small 7 spline drum and worm wheel on the 562. I just discovered  I got the 575 26 10-03 drum kit with a .325 -7 pin rim. I looked high and low in my parts and I don't have a .325- 8 pin rim. Will have to re order some rims.
The 7 pin .325 rim being a smaller gearing then the 7 pin 3/8 should pull a 28" .325 b/c really nice.

Here's a pic of some of my rims I dug out, everything from 9 pin 1/4" up to 13 pin 3/8".

snowshoveler

Holmen...its only because you can file a saw better than most that you get away with those 325 chains.
ha ha
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

HolmenTree

I don't  know Chris   :D I think there's  enough chain filing competition for me from lots of members  on here.
I sure like the looks of the new Stihl 23RS  .325 chain......Too bad Oregon can't  put in the effort to make a comparable chain.
Last picture shows Oregon 's outdated dinosaur 20LPX.

snowshoveler

Oregon is actually working on a new chain. They sent us some bars and chains for testing last year and again a month ago.
Your not going to like them though...semi chisel...looks like the 95VP chain.
To tell the truth that's where the market is at. Its all consumer driven.
Not a lot of professional cutters, mostly harvesters when your dealing with a lot of wood.
You have to admit, not many young people trying to take your job.
As far as being able to file a chain. Go to a saw shop, take a coffee with you for the wrench and ask to look at the chains on customers saws. If that does not make you scared nothing will.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

346xp

Holeman tree I have to agree the stihl chain is a better chain Ii used a loop yesterday it cuts like its angry at the wood my new go to chain thanks for the tips I love it on my 346xp its fast and smooth!!!! 8)

nitehawk55

Be interesting to see how well the new Husky chain works when it comes on the market .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

HolmenTree

Quote from: 346xp on October 17, 2015, 11:55:30 AM
Holeman tree I have to agree the stihl chain is a better chain Ii used a loop yesterday it cuts like its angry at the wood my new go to chain thanks for the tips I love it on my 346xp its fast and smooth!!!! 8)
You're welcome 346, but don't think I'm only pushing Stihl chain. I'm only making suggestions Oregon should develop an alternative .325 chain for the 60cc and under saw market.

If they can't then they should bring back the 76-77LG  3/8" low profile. Smoothest,  safest and most versatile adaptable chisel chain out there for the 60cc and under market.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 16, 2015, 09:23:45 PM
I don't  know Chris   :D I think there's  enough chain filing competition for me from lots of members  on here.
I sure like the looks of the new Stihl 23RS  .325 chain......Too bad Oregon can't  put in the effort to make a comparable chain.
Last picture shows Oregon 's outdated dinosaur 20LPX.

I like the "dinosaur" better, it is both faster and smoother in the cut + the cutters are longer. I'm not going to buy any more RS in .325.

In .058 and .050, the LPX cuts a narrower kerf than RS.
Information collector.

snowshoveler

I will have to say all the current chains will cut when new.
Its how they cut when half worn out and sharpened by a less than professional user.
can they be sharpened easily without a handful of special guides that only a few folks really know how to use.
I sometimes tell my customers (the ones that know me) that I could outcut them with a saw half the size of the 1 they are using. That makes for an interesting conversation.
A 10 th of a second here and there does not add up to much in a pile of firewood.
However a chain that is easily sharpened in a few minutes will get you back to work in that pile of firewood quicker.
We now return to your regular scheduled program.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

49er

I know several cutters in my area who swear the chain from the Husqvarna dealer stays sharper longer than Oregon chain from the hardware store. I tell them it is the same but they say no. :-\
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on October 17, 2015, 12:44:28 PM

I like the "dinosaur" better, it is both faster and smoother in the cut + the cutters are longer. I'm not going to buy any more RS in .325.

In .058 and .050, the LPX cuts a narrower kerf than RS.
Quote from: SawTroll on October 14, 2015, 07:38:10 PM
Regardless, it is a fact that the LP/LPX is the smoothest and ime fastest option. The differences are more notisable in .325 than in 3/8" (no LGX in .325).
Anyway, the differences are too small to be of any practical consequence, so I happily use LP/LPX, LGX and RSC/RS. :)
Niko Niko, you sound like a broken record.  But as your last 2 posts show you change your thinking quickly :D
You're saying the .050-.058 Oregon chain cuts a narrower kerf then the Stihl RS chain but seeing the Oregon  cutter is longer then the Stihl's that makes it wider thus making a wider kerf.
Anyways I had the 23RS and the 20LPX chain side by side in the vise today and I can see the Oregon  doesn't  cut a narrower  kerf just from looking at the 2 side by side.
I got my digital caliper out and 2 straight edges to measure each other's width but the darn calipers  LR44 battery was dead.
Tomorrow is another day. ;D

HolmenTree

Quote from: snowshoveler on October 17, 2015, 11:39:59 AM
Oregon is actually working on a new chain. They sent us some bars and chains for testing last year and again a month ago.
Your not going to like them though...semi chisel...looks like the 95VP chain.
To tell the truth that's where the market is at. Its all consumer driven.
Not a lot of professional cutters, mostly harvesters when your dealing with a lot of wood.
You have to admit, not many young people trying to take your job.
As far as being able to file a chain. Go to a saw shop, take a coffee with you for the wrench and ask to look at the chains on customers saws. If that does not make you scared nothing will.
Regards Chris
Todays  professional market is the arboriculture urban forestry industry. Where logging used to take one out of three saws sold , the urban loggers are taking it on and their spending power will only grow......especially with increasing climate change .
Oregon can make a bundle selling consumer chain but companies like Stihl have the capacity and thinking to always improvise and produce a product for everyone.

Interesting note was Stihl used to sell their saws to the North American market with Oregon chains as their chain plant couldn't keep up demand. Not until 1971 when their expanded chain plant was in full production along with the introduction of the Oil-O-Matic drive link were they were able to sell their saws with their own chain in North America.

This might be a good reminder for Husqvarna to look at making their own chain ;)

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

HolmenTree

Looking good! It didn't miss a beat and would have produced major heat if the muffler was stock.
How did it restart after you shut it down?

nhlogga

Restart was much better. That is one of the first 562's sold in my area. I have the very 1st jonsered 2260 my dealer sold.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Thank You Sponsors!