iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw license?

Started by marc, July 28, 2001, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I sell saws and this is a very real concern for me. The majority of my customers are first time users, does not take long to spot the BSers, and safety gear is a hard sell after they just laid down three or four hundred dollars. I simply can't take the time to give them more than a few safety tips as they hurry out the door to the office meeting.
There is some training available through workers comp but nothing for the consumer.
I don't want to be the fall guy when that lawyer shows up looking for victims so how do I protect myself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I'm not a lawyer, so really don't know, but I would have a sales form signed by the buyer of the saw that has verbage in it that explains the safety equipment available, recommends materials to read for safety, and other resources for training (maybe even offer classes at your shop) just as 'boiler plate' if that lawyer shows up at your door. You can then show in writing the effort you made to help the customer.
There may be customers out there that a class by you  would 'sell' them on buying a saw, but it may also let some potential customers become aware that they shouldn't buy the saw, but instead get professional help to saw their wood. Unfortunately, the latter may mean less business for you, if selling saws is the main objective. I suspect these same people that decide not to buy a saw may come back to you for more professional advice and sales, feeling good about your concern for their safety. Just a wild guess on my part.  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Two things come to mind, put a note on the customers receipt and also the same in a  verbal comment ...Be sure to read the owners manual and call me if you don't understand anything.

Safety training for operating a chain saw is not bs.
The reason for the training is too many people are getting killed and hurt with chain saws.
Common sense doesn't always work, that's why the construction regulations have to tell people not to hit blasting caps with a hammer...
somebody tried it and I'll bet they weren't the only one.
Ayone who thinks they know all about chain saws, take the course and you'll soon learn how much you didn't know.

SwampDonkey

I agree with Kevin on this. And I do think it's a requirement of logging contractors who work on crown lands in New Brunswick. I might be mistaken, but I think anyone operating heavy logging equipment on crown needs certification also. Our community college does the certification and the info can be found on my sight (there are courses sheduled for this spring, but places and dates not set).They have an add in Atlantic Forestry Review Magazine for anyone in the Maritimes. Also, some of the marketing boards put on chainsaw and thinning saw safety and maintenance courses put on my Sthil Canada (Micheal Papinau ?) in the spring when its not as busy in the woods. This fellow is good and is tied up full time putting on these courses, he's out of Quebec.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tony_marks

i hate govt regulations.. mabe it oughta start at the dealer..
 if a man wants to pay the bucks for a quality saw..
   mabe you could keep a log out side an on the pretexed of seeing how the saws is .. take him out there an see if he knows as much as he says..mabe a booklet or something ,on felling..
 god helpum ,if they dont know what they doing..
  but im alive and i sure didnt have any training..ive made my share of stupid moves..
 i think these forums are a good educational tool ..
 mabe the dealers can keep a sign ,with  this site on the counter.. then give a strong recommendation that they look it up an do a search on safety in fellin an such..more needs to be done ,in any case.. if nothin else,, just to kinda look after you customer.

Avalancher

Have you ever wondered why we have to pay fees for permits and other paperwork to be done in local govenment offices?
When you think about it, our tax dollars go to support these offices, salaries, office expenditures, etc, so why do we have to pay again when we need their services?
I was surprised when my wife and I adopted our daughter how much you have to pay for "filing fees" and all the other nonsense.
It was explained to me that the fees cover the cost of state employees performing the work of transfering and mailing the proper documents to the other state involved, postage, and the other expenses related to our case.
Same with the courts, our taxes support the courts but if you have to go to court to sue someone, you have to pay again for "court costs"
Total nonsense to me.

SwampDonkey

Here's one for ya. Up until 2005 I could order aerial photos from Service New Brunswick, which is government, and the price was $9.00 per photo. The phots cost $5 to produce and the mailing of them is only 94 cents. Snce January first the price has been increased to $25 bucks a photo, an increase of over 150 %. Someone explain that one. ::)

Meantime, I can get decent color laser copies of photos from the Dept of Natural Resouces for $10 each delivered price. ;D

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Johnson

Swamp Donkey

It all makes perfect sense, it's the government!!!

We are notorious for taking something that works prefectly fine and is inexpensive and making it more efficient and cost effective. :D :D

Bill

SwampDonkey

I forgot to mention that the chainsaw maintenance and safety course that Sthil Canada hosts is typically 3 days in the classroom going over the saw and safe handling and one half day in the field for hands on with technique. Same with the thinning saw course. We tried going the WCB route after an accident that took place on a corporate landowners forest land, causing death. But, most the attendees did not care for the instructor. I don't see how one day could certify anyone.

Ron Scott

Swamp,

Can't you download your aerial photos or topo maps cheaper from the internet?? I use www.mapcard.com. It costs $14.95/year for a subscription but I can download all photos and maps need.

There are also other such map and photo programs available for use.
~Ron

Kevin

Ron;
I think that's national coverage and not international.
This is the map service I use but it's CD... http://www.fedpubs.com/mpchrt/maps/qvont.htm#east

SwampDonkey

Ron,

I can get 1:50,000 DEM's from Natural Resources Canada for free on their GEO database, then generate my own topos in my GIS software. I can register online for property maps and assessment info with SNB at $10.00/month, but I get them free at my loca marketing board office. I can get the annotation layer , roads and streams for free from Service NB as shapefiles. I can also get a CD from DNR&E for free with the same info. In fact DNR&E generated the same shapefiles SNB provides. I have to order or go purchase the aerial photos from SNB at a premium or order them as laser copies at a reduced rate from DNR&E at timber management branch. I think SNB will offers aerials online through the National Air Photo Library ($24-40 a pop depends on DPI and color) which is totally unrealistic.

http://www.snb.ca/e/6000/6905e.asp

http://airphotos.nrcan.gc.ca/index_e.php

SwampDonkey

I've just been digging a little deeper in SNB's website and they do have Orthographic photos covering some of the provincial grid and they are free for now. The format is MrSID or TIFF. They were created to match the current map numbering system, which is great to save confusion. The SID files are around 2.8 megs covering 15 x 10 km. 1 meter resolution I think. 8)

The project won't be complete until sometime in 2006. It's great because they are all rectified and everything. I just downloaded one and it fits like a glove on my GIS property layer. For now, it seems to be free. :)

Chris J

I'm not in favor of Big Brother throwing his weight around, but in some circumstances I think that training is worthwhile.  I can't really comment on certifications for professional saw users because I'm not in the tree or lumber business.  

I tinker with nonrunning chainsaws & try to bring them back to life, but I rarely do any real cutting.  I''ve always treated chain saws as powerful & potentially dangerous tools, but after reading this forum & some others, I realize that there are many things that I don't know about saws & using them properly & safely.  If I were to purchase some heavily wooded property I'd definately need some training.

An experienced sawyer might need training in felling.  Someone who fells in the woods might need training doing residential removals.  And so on.

Oh yeah-a healthy dose of common sense never hurt anyone.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

timberjack240

no offense jd but im not runnin a 40 cc saw cause i wont get anything done. not only that the little saws get get you just as quick if not quicker especailly with the short bars. i couldnt run a 40cc cause the smallest we have is a 71 and im not buyin one to run for six months. i prefer my 288 husky. its pretty safe if ya watch what yur doin. the idea of some one watchin you though i agree wtih because id be cut a lot of times if i wasnt watchedon ocassion

Jackal

Here in Arkansas, you can get a permit that is like a hunting license. It allows you to cut in certain areas of the national forest . Usually it is illegal to cut in the national forest, at all.

Jackal

Ernie

I think that the term "Civil Servant" is a misnomer.  the ones that I have been forced to deal with are neither civil nor have any concept of servitude.  Revenue gathering seem ot be their sole interest. Am I an Anarchist?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!