iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Full Time

Started by Deese, April 14, 2019, 01:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I just wanted to announce that I'm now sawing full time. Prayers and best wishes appreciated. It's a big leap of faith for me to do this but if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right now because if I can make this work, I've hopefully got many years ahead to allow my business to naturally grow into something big and special. This is my dream. If I were the wealthiest person on Earth I can honestly say that I would still choose this path. Just got home last night from a super cool portable sawing job on the Mobile Bay here in Alabama. Lots of sawing jobs scheduled. As one of my best friends on this forum always tells me...I've got this. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

AK Newbie

If you love what your doing and your able to make a living at it you are in an enviable position!  In the words of Henry Ford, "if you think you can or you think you can't your right", sounds like you are making it happen!
Congrats!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Nomad

Congrats!  You've made a decision.  Now make it be right!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

47sawdust

Best of luck to you Deese,May all your jobs be as special as sawing on the Bay.
George Jones sang a wonderful song about Mobile Bay.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

YellowHammer

That's great, I know you will do fine.

I would have had a hard times sawing at that place, because I'd have been throwing a fishing line out about every log.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

You work hard :)
Hard work pays off 
You will succeed 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

caveman

With your enthusiasm and the amount of "mentors" on this forum that want you to succeed, you will do well.  Good luck with your fulltime endeavor.  Keep posting updates as you acquire more equipment, overcome hurdles, and of course, pictures of scenic sawing sites situated on the salty shores.
Kyle
Caveman

Southside

Congratulations Deese! 
You will do fine. May have to adjust to sawing during the daylight, but I am sure that won't be a problem. 

Beautiful spot there for sure!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Congrats Frank on a well thought out plan.  My Best Wishes will follow you.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Congratulations John Frank.  Make your son proud.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

customsawyer

It won't be long and I'll have to pass the sawmill project torch off to you so you can show all you've learned in your new adventures.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

flatrock58

Congrats.  Sometimes you have to jump in with both feet and see what happens.  You will do fine.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

John Frank,

Now maybe you can get some sleep at night. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

Congratulations Deese, smiley_thumbsup
your worlds on a string.

Best wishes going forward

D

thecfarm

Good luck to ya!!
May you always saw straight and not hit metal!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

slider

Best of luck to you John Frank. 
al glenn

123maxbars

Good deal I know your neighbors will be glad you are taking the evenings off now,  ;D
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Tom the Sawyer

John,  good luck with your change in career.  Set short-term, achievable goals; that will help your confidence level.  If you haven't done so, read through the threads in the Business section, a lot of good ideas there.  I don't think business plans are absolutes, be open to opportunities, you may find a niche you didn't know existed.  :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

A big old War Eagle congratulations to you. May all your logs be AU straight and the knotty, crooked, nail infested logs all end up over at your UA competitor's mill. (Sorry about that YH :().
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your successes 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Resonator

Congrats and good luck! I'm chasing the dream myself too. Get a good accountant, a good lawyer, and learn as you go. And always save some money in a rainy day, "oh DanG what broke now" fund! smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Deese

I really appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. It will be an adventure for sure! I do not see how I can fail if I follow good advice and continue to do good quality work. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Lawg Dawg

John I jumped in head first 8 years ago when I bought my LT-15. I was 33 years old and would not take no for an answer! Lot of years working 7 days a week helped establish a great clientele. I can say this, take good care of your best repeat customers...they will be the key to your success. Call me if you ever need anything Bro!  :)

Now I actually have time to take my kids fishing! Hang with it!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Andries

The thread title says "full Time".
I'm thinking you've been at "double time" for a while now!  ;D
Best wishes John, and watch out 4x4american - somebody's catching' up. . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!