iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandmill construction

Started by 711ac, April 19, 2018, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

711ac

Where would you guy's send me to find some basic guidelines. Horsepower, blade speed, wheels, etc. I've been around & run Woodmizers so I'm not totally "green". I'd just like to get it as close to being a "real good saw" on the first crack at it. 
There must be a rule of thumb for FPM of the blade and HP for a reasonable travel speed for 6", 12", 18" cut in hardwood. Bigger wheels advanage? etc.

JRWoodchuck

I can think of no better place to learn any question you might have about sawmills than right where your at. The search box is real handy around these parts. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

longframe200

As above, but there is also a lot of concentrated knowledge on Cooks site.

Articles & Helpful Hints

CooksSawmills - YouTube
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."  "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  - Mark Twain

JB Griffin

Bigger bandwheels act like a flywheel and store momentum and flex the blade less, so bigger is always better.

Can you really have too much hp? Yes, you can, if it doesn't put out enough torque (think 2 stroke gas engine). Torque is what you need to pull a blade through a log.

I would recommend building a 4post mill as the fab and engineering would be much simpler than a cantilever. 

Also keep in the front of your mind weld pull and stresses, as it would be easy to build a warped twisted useless frame if you don't plan out a weld pattern. 

Go with a bigger engine and drive the hyd pump off it and you will much better off than the elec/hyd pumps.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

711ac

Thanks for the feedback, that Cooks site is great. I've "been there" before just looking at their parts, never saw the chat side.
I have lots of reading to do, esp for the details like I would have never thought of the height of your "bunks" and reading where someone was comparing 2 mills and one of them was able to be fork loaded because the rails were lower. Those little things, through out the mill add up to a big difference, and just because I've seen a few band mills sure doesn't mean I can design one, well one that makes sense and features that are just ccommon sense to an experienced sawyer.
That (Cooks) HD3238 sure looks sweet..... if I had $30k for another hobby. ;D

longframe200

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."  "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  - Mark Twain

Thank You Sponsors!