iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unusual growth on pine trees - northern Florida

Started by Midmid1, July 21, 2011, 02:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midmid1

A friend was hiking in northern Florida and came across 2 pine trees approximately 12 miles apart that had an unusual growth on them.  My thoughts was that these were hybrid pines that had been damaged at some point and the tree had recovered but the growth was from the recessive gene.  I have no science or forestry background other than just enjoying myself surrounded by woods.

If anyone can enlighten us, I would appreciate your help.

Tom

Welcome to the forum, midmid1.

It's called Witch's Broom and is the result of anything from a fungus to mechanical damage.  

WDH

The only cure is a broth of bat wings and eye of newt used to water the roots only on nights with a full moon.

Just kidding!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Dead cats and spunk water work better, and you do it at night, so the effects will be ready for the dawns early light.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Does dwarf mistletoe affect pines? I know it infects hemlock and fir forming brooms. But it's only one cause of broom as there are others pointed out. I did a study one time on broom in fir, it seems they only grew for about 16 years on samples we looked at. We collected lower limbs, but the uninfected limbs at the whorls were still nice and green, so ruled out shading.

I found a spruce one time, it was all shaggy on the bottom half of the tree and true limbs on the top half.

Here's the thread link

Might be a new candidate to the "An Eye for Trees" thread. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Midmid1

I knew I had stumbled onto the right website!   8)

Thanks for the answer(s).  I'll have to try out that cure of broth of bat wings and eye of newt used to water the roots only on nights with a full moon on my pines that are affected with those darn pine beetles.   ;D

jim king

If that could be controlled and reproduced it sure would make some nice Christmas trees.

KBforester

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 22, 2011, 05:13:41 AM
Does dwarf mistletoe affect pines?

There is a mistletoe on ponderosa  pine and doug-fir.  Not sure if its the same type that we have in the east or not....
Trees are good.

SwampDonkey

I don't know either, I would assume no because of the influence of the Rockies. But I do know mistletoe is found in the western hemlocks and it was quite common where I worked on the north coast and up toward Meziadin Junction (Nass River) and upper Skeena. Didn't have much for bugs and pest diseases on the Queen Charlottes as I recall. And devil's club wasn't even hardly found there either. Lots of great big old banana slugs though. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

MidMid, where are you located? 

Swampdonkey, we have mistletoe in some hardwoods, but have never seen them on southern pines.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WildDog

1st up welcome Midmid1, hope you stay around, you will find answers to just about everything that makes the world go round here.

QuoteThere is a mistletoe on ponderosa  pine and doug-fir.

We get Mistletoe on our eucalyptus, and have a a little finch sized mistletoe bird.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

clww

Usually the only tree around these parts with Mistletoe are the Maples.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

RynSmith

If I recall correctly, the mistletoes found in deciduous trees are the 'true' mistletoes.  They are only semi-parasitic in that they do have their own chlorophyll and only take water from their host.  The kind found on conifers are dwarf-mistletoes and take both food and water from the trees they live on.  Most are species-specific but some can occur on more than one kind of conifer.

The first kind is the one you're supposed to  :-* under.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!