iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/4 pitch chain question

Started by RLLOGVT, March 03, 2012, 05:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLLOGVT

I run a Fabtek Ft-240 danglehead with 3/4 pitch bar and chain. It doesnt alwalys do this but the ends of my logs are not smooth. if you ran your hand along the face of the log it has a washboard effect to it. Wondering if it's something I'm doing sharpening my chain? Or is this normal?

lumberjack48

A little to much hook on cutters, or rakers a little to low.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

Quote from: RLLOGVT on March 03, 2012, 05:27:48 PM
I run a Fabtek Ft-240 danglehead with 3/4 pitch bar and chain. It doesnt alwalys do this but the ends of my logs are not smooth. if you ran your hand along the face of the log it has a washboard effect to it. Wondering if it's something I'm doing sharpening my chain? Or is this normal?
its normal. i run 404 on mine dose the same thing a little smother than 3/4 but nothing like a chainsaw. how do you like that head? whats it on? there is a couple of us on here running ctl

amberwood

with 3/4 on the powered saw sharpen the hook and rakers as aggressively as it will run. You want to be making the biggest chips possible. Fewer sharpens and faster cuts. You wil also get a ripple effect from missing teeth or extra joint links. Depends on how many times the chain has been shortened or broken!
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

RLLOGVT

NICE! I THINK MAYBE IT'S THE MISSING TEETH. GAPS IN THE CHAIN LOOP. AFTER YOU MENTIONED THAT I REALIZED IT HAPPENS MORE ON AN OLDER CHAIN. ONE THAT'S BEEN REPAIRED A FEW TIMES. SOMETIMES I WILL LEAVE A CUTTER OUT. I GUESS I SHOUDN'T DO THAT ANYMORE!
I RUN THAT HEAD ON A FABTEK FT-153. AWESOME CARRIER AND HEAD.

bushmechanic

We ran the Fabtek fixed head and the results were the same-ripple effect.Tell you what you could always pick out the Fabtek's wood in a pile.

Thank You Sponsors!