iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinda surprizing

Started by Engineer, November 01, 2003, 02:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Today was the first time I've cut with my LT30 Wood-Mizer.  Figured I'd tackle some nasty old logs at my father's house, so there I went.

We had two pieces of sugar maple about 12" dia. x 4' long and  a 12" x 6' chunk of ash, all about three years old, and four cherry logs that had been sitting on the ground moldering for about four years, each averaging 10" x 10' long.

Having problems adjusting the carburetor on the mill, it is a Walbro carb on a Kohler 14 horse engine, but anyway she stayed running and we got it all sawed in three hours, that included travel time, moving the logs, relocating the mill once, and some general chitchat.

The sugar maple was all spalted and beautiful, the ash had a lot of brown in it, very little white wood, but it was all solid, and believe it or not, even after four years trying to rot, the cherry heart was still rock solid and just beginning to spalt a little bit.  I thought it was all gonna be compost.

We got about 160 board feet total out of seven small logs, not bad, and that included three cherry 4x6 posts that I am going to use as braces in my timber frame.  I figure the lumber will make for some nice furniture for the new house and maybe parts of the kitchen cabinets.  I'd never seen spalted cherry before - I guess you have to catch it in that small window between sound and rotten.  Beautiful stuff, dark brown streaks running through the wood.

Looking forward to tomorrow, if the weather holds and I get the carb figured out, I have another thirty logs to cut and this stuff's all fresh logs.   8)

Jon

Bibbyman

Sounds like you had a great day.!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

Heya Engineer

Sounds like you are hooked. ;D  Wait till some passerby stops for a look and drops a few bucks for soma yer wood 8). Then your gonna need counciling iffn you ever have to quit sawin ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I know the feeling 'bout that counselling!   :(

Yesterday I spent most of the day bucking some push-downs at a construction site.   The small plot backed up against a low swampy area, which had some treasures.

Ended up with 14 logs altogether - a mix of 8' and 12' logs.  According to the WoodWeb weight calc., about 10 tons worth.

The real prizes?
                      Two beech logs 34" thick by 8' ,   Veneer grd.
                       Two Swamp Chestnut Oak 32" by 12'    Veneer grd
                       Three   "          "         "      28" by 8'

After seeing the on-going project for three days, I would have needed a session on the couch, if I had not taken a Saturday to smell the sawdust!
Phil L.                                   :D
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Frank_Pender

Withdrwal is not fun.  I went all day yesterday without sawing.   Now I have 3" of snow. :'(  The first, in an long time, for this early in the season.   Not enough, yet for the snowmobiles. :'(   The sawdust is in your veins and the $ will soon be in your pockets.  8)  Congrats on getting through you first milling project. :)
Frank Pender

Paul_H

You got snow yesterday,Frank? Please keep it down there,I'm not ready yet.My stuff is scattered all over the place.

Time to pack it up for the season.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, Frank. Just this past Thursday, I had to put on long jeans to ride the boat to the creek. That 60° air really chills the bones at 20 MPH ::) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

I just got back in from being out playing in this stuff with my Gator. :)  It is a bit more of a windchill at lower 30's than 60s DH.  I heard we may have an additional 3 inches during the day today :-/  I get to sawing logs, I reckon.   8)

I had to fill both Taylors, one for the house and other for the kiln.  I have the kiln at 120*.  I just had to step inside and feel the warm.  Glasses sure fogged in a hurry. :D  

Paul, you can have it all, as far as I am concerned.   Hurry and get your things put away and I will sendit right to ya. ;D

By the way, I suppose the roads and temp bridges are all in place for the winter?  
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Frank,
Yeah,the highways are open with one lane bailey bridges.The railway isn't up and running south of us yet.But it's freezing cold and the rivers are looking pretty benign.

Makes me wonder what all the fuss was about a couple of weeks ago :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!