iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oops grinder bite

Started by Don P, May 06, 2018, 05:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

well we pulled an old truck out of the weeds yesterday, note to self leave the keys in the dead trucks. she was in eternal park, dropped the driveshaft, Michelle pulled and I picked up the front and pushed, I had stolen the steering gearbox years ago. we only tried to drop it over the side a couple of times, a few rusty chunks fell off it along the way but mission accomplished. this morning I cut the bed bolts, drug that off to be the trash can for recycling it and stole the rear axle for hooking up the new engine to the mill. I decided to pull the cab off, just 6 bolts and it would be easy to take the transfer case, front axle and a couple of straight pieces of frame c channel for reinforcing things.. the usual red green stuff. well on bolt number 5 the unguarded grinder kicked out and bumped me. It got into th cord and I was reaching down to make sure it wasn't in trouble when things became pretty clear, I was spurting good. I looked at my pointer knuckle and had laid it open wide and deep. Michelle was down in the garden so I hollered that I was leaking, she came up and ran me up to the house so we could grab some paper towels and roll into town. we got out and heard the tire hissing, remember the chunks of metal that had fallen off, well of course this would be the best time to clean one of those up out of the driveway with a tire ::). we hop into the truck and head on in, might as well hit the drive thru, if I'm going to bleed out or die of old age in a waiting room I ain't doing it on an empty stomach. the urgent care is just about next door so I slam down my cheesebigger in the parking lot and wander in. about a half hour later they get me in back and want to know what damfool thing I've done and we commence to telling stories and having a good time as they proceeded to irrigate, inspect, inject and remove bits of grinding wheel and '76 rubber cab mount bushing and Lord knows whatall, and the doc confides that this just made her weekend cause stitching is so much more fun than snotty nose young'uns and constipated old folks. I told her it was my pleasure to make their day and she was all proud of her stitching so she threw 11 in there and closed the gap. She was starting to warn me that there might be a scar then she looked at my arms and decided that wasn't going to be a problem.

Which led to another story. Back some years ago a nurse was working on me. I've been on jobsites since at least the age of six and have all the scratches and dents of a full life around such things. So this nurse says "do you cut yourself?" "yes m'am, all the time". long pause as this just isn't adding up in her head. "Do I need to have someone come talk to you about that?". That was when it hit me :D "not on purpose!"

So anyway, moral of the story for today was ,yup you're supposed to use the guard, definitely have some gloves on... and bring the magnet sweeper home before moving old junk down the driveway!

I think i'll take a few days off from working in the funk of a 200 year old barn. Getting hurt is 'spensive :-[

Andries

That was a good read Don - and some take home messages from a guy that still has a good pointer knuckle, or two.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

submarinesailor

Don, This reminds me of when I was in a hurry while cutting a short piece of conduct with a hacksaw.  Split the end of my thumb to within about 1/2 a millimeter.  After they cleaned it out, the x-rays showed there was still stuff (metal filings) in it. So they opened it up again, cleaned it again and x-rayed it again.  Did that 3 times and still had stuff.  They decided to leave it.  2 years later I broke that same thumb.  The stuff drove the x-ray tech crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with his film.  I forgot to tell him there was stuff in there. ::) ::) ;D

Bruce

Ed_K

Not sure about the gloves :(. I ruined a pair of new welding gloves last time I had the angle grinder out ;D.
Ed K

Crusarius

all my grinders have guards on them. I have had to many close calls without guard. plus I like setting them down when still running. I can set them on the guards and not have to worry about it.

LeeB

Side grinders and chainsaws are two of the nastiest wounds going. Both tear instead of cut. Glad you don't have a worse tale to tell.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

goose63

A bench grinder can be DanG hard on yer thumb I found out the hard way. When the nurse at the V A asked me if I had thoughts of hurting my self sure all the time my right hand hates my left hand :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Hilltop366

Sorry for your injury.
Thank you for not posting pictures.

Don P

:D :D Sorta don't even want to look myself.

Well, I decided to go out and run some errands today, apparently I got another tire in the massacree. As a friend says in that situation "You'll have that on these big jobs". I slimed it and it seems to be holding.

Which brought back another memory. In the early 90's we were working deep in the Black Hills about 3 miles past the "State Maintenance Ends" sign, beautiful meadow in the forest, all to ourselves. I had torn down and burned the old homestead cabin and we were building a log home back in there. The backside of the meadow connected to the forest service fire roads. One day when we needed to go down to Spearfish I was in the mood to go exploring. So we locked in and headed cross country just following the roads wherever they took us, through the forest, past a couple of old mines, just a pleasant spring day exploring. What I didn't realize is I had driven over a nail as we left camp. A good ways in I realized something was up and sure enough the drivers rear was going flat so I proceed to start changing it and Michelle said, "Umm, look up front" Yup I'd driven over it with both tires. We were still a good ways from anywhere but not much else to do but keep going. By the time we rolled into town it sounded like an old song :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoM5PAiuPpI

coxy

:D not laughing at your injury but the do you cut your self thing i thought it was only a NY thing i was cutting trees in a worm killed hard maple patch that had black berries briers that had thorns like a porky pine so my arms looked like they went through a meat slicer  i had to have a physical done for the fire co and the nurse comes in  looks at me and said ill be right back the next thing there is 2 nurses and 3 doctors in the room asking me all kinds of different things hows things at home and so on asked whats that have to do with my physical the one nurse asked why do i cut my self :-\  i started :laugh: and said theses marks are not from a knife there from briers they even called my dads house and asked him he said you want to look at my arms they look just like his  and if you don't believe  him your more than welcome to go to work with us for a day or 2 and see what you look like at the end of the day   i thought they where going to take me away in a straight jacket for a while  :D :D

petefrom bearswamp

Sorry to hear about your mishap.
Lots of scars here.
My dad told me if you aint gettin hurt you aint doing nothing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

BradMarks

;D ;D Not at your injury but your storytelling style in the first post.  It reminded me of Arlo Guthrie ( Alice's Restaurant) siting on the bench waiting to see the judge for littering. "And there I sat......"  Heal up fast, be glad you still have all your parts!

SawyerTed

Ooooowwwwwch!  My son wrecked his car a few years ago.  We were putting it back together on a Saturday afternoon. I was drilling 1/8" holes to reattach the fender liner.  Long story short, the bit broke and the sharp end buried itself in my left thumb nail to the bone.  The doc at the urgent care was excited to do something else besides flu cases and allergic reactions to meds somebody else prescribed.  Thankfully a close family friend got me in quickly.

That trip to the urgent care prompted an interview with a nurse and then a social worker.  Same story, "Do you feel safe at home?"  "Who else lives in the home?" etc.

Then came the insurance investigation.  They wanted to know if I was injured working in a business whose insurance should pay instead of my health care insurance through my employer.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

coxy

it a crock of     that they ask all these questions  and for the insurance co just pay the dam bill and forget about it ::) ::)  if we where to ask some of them questions to the insurance co they would cancel us  :)  i have to go to the doc at 5pm today for a rash I'm going to tell them I'm allergic to my wife  :D 

Thank You Sponsors!