iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drinking permiate water

Started by Chuck White, March 14, 2018, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

A guy told me that drinking the permeate water from a reverse osmosis system can be harmful to your health!

He said the reason being is there are no minerals in it and the water will have a tendency to pull minerals from your body!

Anybody here ever heard of that?

Reason I ask is, at the sugarhouse we make our coffee with it! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Coffee has minerals in it doesn't it?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

clearcut

Reverse Osmosis does reduce a number of ions and minerals including calcium and magnesium. However these are easily replaced with a healthy diet. Eat your vegetables. 

Most of the information about negative health effects of drinking demineralized water come from a World Health Organization report. A lot of water purification systems companies have latched on to the negative aspects of this report to promote their systems. 

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap12.pdf

The negative health impacts largely address populations that have limited access to other sources of clean water, and minerals over a long term. If you are concerned, a multivitamin and mineral supplement should provide all of the minerals your body needs. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ianab

Here in NZ it's still common to collect rainwater for household use in rural areas. That's pretty much zero minerals. 

Only thing I can think of is fluoride, which is present in most groundwater. A lack of that is bad for teeth, especially for kids. 

Growing up we had little tabs of it each day to make up for what we missed drinking rainwater.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gearbox

They use RO's to treat drinking water if you have  bad water . Also are sending then to 3rd world country's that do not have safe water .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Don P

I always heard you were going to eat a bushel of dirt before you die. I think it'll all work out in the end.

I worked for one lady that was drinking, oh I don't remember, I installed some fancy gizmo that made the water acid or alkaline or there were gerbils inside doing their thing but supposedly it would cure what ailed her. What ailed her was the packing peanuts behind her eyeballs had shook loose but that's another story. I was asking another client about it, he's a doc. His take was it wasn't harming her or helping her, our body just about immediately adjusts those things unless you just go crazy overdosing yourself.

Chuck White

I wasn't really all that concerned about the affects on ones health since we don't drink it exclusively, I was just wondering if the guy I heard that from was just blowing smoke, or if there was some truth to it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ford_man

Chuck, that water that is coming off the evaporator wouldn't that be distilled water? if it is maybe you should bottle it and sell sell it. Maybe make as much $ as the syrup.

Chuck White

The steam that comes off of the evaporator is absolutely, distilled water!

We do bottle some, to use in batteries and such!

I don't know if the water from the RO is considered distilled or now, I do know that there are no minerals in it though!

The guy I mentioned in the OP said that if you're drinking the permeate water (the water from the RO) exclusively, that the water will actually pull minerals from your body!

True or not, I don't know, that why I originally posted! 

Gary_C

The source of minerals to replenish those that are lost from our bodies generally come from the foods we eat, not from the water we drink. The concentration of minerals in water is always so relatively low that we would have to drink huge amounts of water to provide the daily requirements for good health. 

I do know that minerals in water effect taste of foods and water we ingest. The taste of coffee is directly effected by the quality of water used which is why some people do not like the taste of coffee when they are away from home. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Peter Drouin

Don't drink the RO water, Bring it from home and you know for sure you have good water.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Yup, it's about as pure as it can get!

Thank You Sponsors!