iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spiders and bullets

Started by Tom L, September 20, 2012, 08:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

put up a big white oak last weekend and this was on the saw to greet me, one big ugly, had to be 2" long

so as I was cutting one of the last pcs I saw this, looks like he drifted inside a knot

found a bullet also, the way I count someone missed a squirrel sometime in 1959

all in all a slow day, only sawed 200 board ft and gave up for better times
just one of those days

Magicman

Surely that had to be a jacketed bullet to do that to the blade.  Still strange.   ???

Nice pictures of the Garden as well as the Wooden spider.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Nice picture of the board and bullet. I can tell which way you was sawing.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I've sawed through quite a few bullets, both jacketed and solid lead and they didn't affect the blade as it appears in your pic!

Neat pic of the spider in the lumber!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Maybe some of the lead hung up on the points of the teeth and caused the marks?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on September 20, 2012, 11:25:58 AM
Maybe some of the lead hung up on the points of the teeth and caused the marks?

I've had that happen and just took my knife and peeled the lead off of the teeth and continued sawing.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

beenthere, I like your explanation.  That makes much more sense than my questionable thoughts about the gilding metal defacing the blade teeth.   :-[  I know that I have never seen any tooth damage from hitting bullets, and I have not hit one since Friday.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logboy

You sparked a memory. I was breaking down a red pine lumber stack a while back and came across this guy. Apparently I sawed through it but never noticed. Looks like a .45.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Magicman

When I am sawing wall paneling, etc. the customers usually are excited and want the bullets to stay for character.   ;D

hackberry jake

You can almost see your own reflection in a bullet when it gets sent through the planer. Guess how I know that.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

I have a bullet that appeared on my wall when I panelled it in oak. Didn't see it until I was putting on an oil finish.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

Useless factiod of the day......... the alloy used for gilding metal (copper bullet jackets) is the same alloy used in pre 1982 pennies. 95% copper/ 5% zinc......

drobertson

Spiders in the woods, and bullets in the logs,  been there, not that kind of damage. these two 9mm were in a walnut log, thinking someone was shooting at some bushy tails. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

I got to rammy with the clicker, this is the double I found in some walnut. back to back. amazing grouping.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

EZland

You guys are cracking me up about the bullets. I hit one once with a CSM.  Hmmm, why is my sawdust gray?   

Especaily Jake planning one. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

pineywoods

Sawed up a big ole yard walnut a while back that was full of genuine civil war era 50 cal minnie balls. Whittled it down to a 6X8 and gave that to a young neighbor for a fireplace mantel. He wanted the bullets left exposed...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

You guys just gave me my next marketing idea. I'm going to get a couple of bricks of .22 ammo and shoot up my log pile. Maybe buckshot instead. Hmm...For sale, Buckshot Oak tongue and groove paneling ;D
Too many irons in the fire

shelbycharger400

shoot the tree's first,  less blowout

Tom L

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2012, 10:32:06 AM
You guys just gave me my next marketing idea. I'm going to get a couple of bricks of .22 ammo and shoot up my log pile. Maybe buckshot instead. Hmm...For sale, Buckshot Oak tongue and groove paneling ;D

after you are done milling the boards , just drill some hole and epoxy in some bullets
a lot cheaper in the long run   :D

barbender

I think that would be deceptive marketing :D
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Kinda like furniture makers distressing boards and applying black marks to imitate ambrosia beetle damage  ???   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!