iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lou's Fabulous History

Started by Tom, October 01, 2006, 09:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was talking with Jeff and found that we have a new member with an exciting background.

Lou is a neighbor of the cabin in the UP. He's a concerned lively fellow, up in his years, who checks on Jeff and offers help to neighbors when he sees them in straights.  When I was up there with Jeff after the pig roast and the truck quit in the woods, Lou answered the call form Tammy to look us up in the woods and help.  He did without a quibble even though, we found out later, his wife had just been brought home from surgery.  As it turned out, he didn't have to leave her, but, he had examined the situation and determined that he was available, and offered.

Now I find that there is more to this fellow.  His father was on the Carpathian that picked up survivors of the Titanic.  Not only that but he invented fishing lures.  Lou is trying to bring back some of his dad's lures to see that they get used.  It's not that he needs the money, it's because he is interested in seeing that his Dad's legacy is carried on.  I think Lou carries a legacy of his own.  What a grand humanitarian.

On the front page of the forum, where members have links to their web-sites, you will find Lou's.  It is called Antique Fishing Lures.  Read about the "Katch all" it is interesting. 

When you finish reading it, look at the bottom of the page and you will find a link to an article written about Lou's father.  It is a PDF file with pictures of fish and a deer strapped to the hood of the car and what do you suppose standing next to the deer and in front of the radiator?  It's Little Lou.  Lou was 5 years old then. 

Well Little Louis (Louie) is about 15 years my senior now and still going strong.  He checks on Jeff every morning after the "hunt" to make sure he is alright.  "I'd hate to find out you fell off of that 4 wheeler and hit your head and nobody knew were you were for 3 or 4 days", he told Jeff.   

Jeff has been invited to their house for "Tea" next weekend and sounds really excited about it.   Louie's wife is English and I can just see Jeff now, sitting on the couch with a plate of crumpets and a cup of tea, holding his pinky in the air.  :D

So when you see lcurtis logged onto the forum, you will know that he is another of our really
special members and he belongs to us.

Burlkraft

Sounds like a nice addition to our family...... ;D ;D ;D

I'd give just about anything ta see da Boss havin' tea....I hope he cleans up first :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

bedway

Mention of the titanic jogged my memory. While in the navy, stationed in scotland, my stateside girl friend came over and we got married. The gentleman who married us was a survivor of the titanic. Somewhere i have a tape of the ceremony and it has his name on it.

Jeff

The new "Fishing" thread got me thinking about this thread. I now host and take care of Lou's website for him in thanks for all of the things he does for me. Lou is now my next door neighbor in the U.P. and an extra special friend. He is always making sure I am all right while I am up there and offering me the use of all kinds of neat tools to use that I dont have (like tracters and dozers and such) ;D.  Lou is also an LT40 owner. He has a LT40 from around 1994 that has LESS then 200 hours on it and always stored inside. It looks brand spanking new cause it really is. Lou sawed his house out with it and occasionally some off lumber he needs around his property.

I wanted to post here for a couple reasons. One, lou is going to throw in some of his old stock antique lures for door prizes at this years pig roast. They are still fish catching machines too!  I'm hoping that some of you fishermen will maybe order one or two in thanks for him helping out the forum that way.  His web address is www.kurtiskatchall.com

The other thing I was wondering is what is a "like new" wood-mizer sharpener and setter worth? Lou still has his and someone has asked him about selling it. He says he might as well since he doesn't use it, and its only sharpened less then 10 blades. He found he could not stand the setting process.  :D  I told him to hold on before he sold it as we could advise him on what it was really worth so he didnt end up giving it away. By the sounds of it, I think he was about to do just that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Jeff,
The rule of thumb has been that woodmizer mills have been worth their retail price in the year they were made, minus wear and tear.

The sharpener and setter hold value too, but not that good.  still, a 94 blade maintenance kit that sold for 12 or 13 hundred then, should still be worth 900 to a thousand.  There have been some upgrades but that design still works good.  I think the upgrades have to do with ease of zeroing on the setter.

Jeff

Hes not wanting to sell the mill, only the sharpening equipment.  If he ever decides to sell the mill, I wont be talking. ;D

Tom

I'd tell him to ask 1200 and give them a deal for 1000.  If they have a little baby, a pregnant wife, 2 girls in college and are taking in their bedridden mother, maybe he should settle for 900. :)

The blade maintenance kit makes a good package with the mill.   I wouldn't break them up unless he needs the money.

Jeff

In recent days, I've updated Lou's website with an HTML version of the Woods and water news magazine story about his dad and the "Kurtis Katch-all"  you can find that here:

http://www.kurtiskatchall.com/press_on_the_kurtiskatchall.htm

crtreedude

Those look pretty good! I might have to see about getting a few and seeing how well they work in the tropics on Peacock Bass...  8)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Let me know when you are ready to order, Fred. I would like a couple, also.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!