iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge elm table with walnut butterfly

Started by jimdad07, February 05, 2017, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Thought I'd post this up here, this is a table I'm working on currently, this one is close to completion.  I have three more to build.

https://youtu.be/RjHtojigf4w

https://youtu.be/X3ll-LlWxgY
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Savannahdan

Enjoyed your videos.  What router bit were you using?  I have a router bit set for routing bowtie pockets and cutting bowties but it can be used with other designs such as yours.  Also, I have a large hickory donut in the carport waiting for me to work on it.  It's about 30" diameter and has a wedge shape to it.  Depth on the thin side is about 3" and about 6 on the thick side.  I'll probably start my sanding with a small belt sander and then progress to an orbiter sander and then a finish sander.  Frankly I may spend more time on it than needed since the lady getting it told me plans to put it on her screened porch.  But, I want it to look top notch when it's finished.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

jimdad07

That's going to look great when you're done with it.  I just use a 1/8" strait bit and free hand it.  I should make a jig for doing it as it's very easy to make mistakes doing what I'm doing with it.  My nice porter cable belt sander needs a rebuild on the lower end so I picked up a cheapo HF belt sander and orbital sander, they actually are working great and built heavier than I thought they'd be.  Good luck with your project.

21incher

Great videos, thanks for sharing.  I picked up one of those harbor freight  blue belt sanders a couple years ago and can't kill it.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jimdad07

Quote from: 21incher on February 05, 2017, 06:14:03 PM
Great videos, thanks for sharing.  I picked up one of those harbor freight  blue belt sanders a couple years ago and can't kill it.  :)

I hate to shop there sometimes but I just can't afford a Porter Cable right now.  That sander might go on a "Cheap tools that work" video if it holds up.

jimdad07

I used carving chisels around the edges to clean up the left over inner bark...I hadn't used these chisels in years and they were rough.  I haven't done much woodworking in a long time, still getting back into the swing of it.  But here's how I sharpen gouges and carving chisel if you folks are interested:

https://youtu.be/XC8EJKWHxOs

jimdad07

Thank You Sponsors!