iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board and Batten + Wrap and Strap

Started by John P., June 24, 2017, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John P.

I decided to go with the wrap and strap method for insulating my barn workshop, and am trying to figure out how to fasten my siding. I have horizontal girts/purlins every 24" for the siding to screw into. Wood is white pine, cut locally.

I'm processing my siding as follows:

Plane all to an even thickness - approx 7/8" (one side only, rough/bark side facing out)
Apply a wood preservative (all 6 sides)
Apply a latex primer (all 6 sides)
Paint (sides facing out only)

I was reading online about installation, and came across this article:

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-install-board-and-batten-siding-3/

The author recommends waiting 6 months to put the battens on - but does that make sense, since I'll be painting/etc...? The wood has dried for well over a year, though I know it will continue to dry once up.

Thanks!

Jim_Rogers

If the siding and battens are that dry, I'd put them up.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

John P.

One other thing - that website (and I've seen it elsewhere) fasten the boards 1" from the edge - why not the middle of the board? That way, I would suspect at least, that the board would shrink evenly on both sides of the screw/nail.

John P.

Oh, not to answer my own question... but is the idea to hide the fasteners since the batten will overlap? You'll still see a fastener head on the batten.

Dave Shepard

Board and batten is only supposed to be fastened in the middle. The batten is to hold the edges and allow seasonal movement.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Notice he is only fastening one edge of the boards and is also putting bark side in, that cups it to the framing and allows the board to move seasonally, it is also putting more heartwood out, might help in the long term. Don't fasten the batten to the boards, only to the framing behind them so the boards can move. You can put the battens on immediately.

John P.

Wait - bark side in? I was under the impression I needed to put the bark side out from other things I've read.

Don P

Wood cups to the bark side was his rationale for doing bark-in. I've never really paid much attention, just put best face out. What was your reasoning?

Magicman

Boards cup toward the bark side and away from the pith side. 

I always put the pith side out and the bark side in.  This makes the board edges tighten toward the building instead of flaring out.  I nail the boards and battens down the center.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!