iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scary morning

Started by clearcut, July 24, 2013, 04:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clearcut

It was scary.

I was heading out to run errands about 10:30. About 1/4 mile from home I saw a large plume of smoke just clearing the trees. I pulled over called 911 and saw that a structure, back in the trees, was fully involved and there were flames under and around the propane tank.

The first responders arrived in about 5 minutes. 

Abandoning my errands, returned home and began to pack photo albums and such into the car. . A spotter plane and helicopter arrived a few minutes later, followed by an air tanker.  A second helicopter arrived shortly after. 

There are 2 small ponds nearby so the helicopters had a quick turn around and dumped a lot of water.

The fire appears to be contained. The helicopters were released a bit after 12:00. I heard on the scanner that one person was transported to the hospital as a precaution.

Crews are still on scene moping up.

It has been 29 days since the last rain. Temperature was about 97°. Winds 1-7 mph, Humidity 32%.

Sorry for the poor cell phone pic. Note the dry grass in the foreground. First responders had just arrived on scene.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Raider Bill

Yikes! Looks Dang dry. Glad all is well.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It may not hurt to put lawn sprinklers around your home. With the type of fuel I see, wetting the area around your house could help out.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

No telling how far that fire would have gone if it had hit that old hay field!

Good thing your timing was right on!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

That picture and the narrative sound plenty scary enough for me. :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

That was lucky that you was running errands. Your place was not the only home saved today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!