Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Started by Norm, November 06, 2011, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red oaks lumber

norm
be carful what you wish for :) :) you have drawn the line, not a word about bad weather the rest of the winter from you ;D
does patty know how to run it? hope so, that way you can just stay huddled around the kegerator :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

submarinesailor

I want one..  I also want what you are going to use to run it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Kansas

The more important question is, can you mount the kegerator on the piece of equipment that that attaches to?

Someday, I got to make a trip to see said kegerator. I don't want it to get lonely.

Chuck White

Nice looking blower ya got there Norm!

I see you have the hydraulics to adjust your discharge angle, that makes it nice. ;)

I would venture to guess a 50-65 horse power tractor would run it just fine, but you probably have one with a cab, heater, and a lot more HP.  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

celliott

Now that is a surefire way to make sure it doesn't hardly snow this year! Because you know if you didnt buy a  new snowblower, you would be perpetually buried with snow  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Patty

Yea, we figure it is a small price to pay to insure that it will never snow again in Iowa.   :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Reddog

Watch the chute freezing/icing in place. Keep it well greased or the hydraulic cylinders can twist up things pretty quick.
Oh and don't leave anything laying in the yard that you don't feel like spending an hour or two cutting out of the fan and augers.  ;)

I hope you get enough too need it every day this winter.  :o   :D

chevytaHOE5674

I have one of them and try not to use it because its too darn slow. I find plowing to be much much faster. But it will sure move a lot of snow if need be.

Mooseherder

sparky1

I like snow... I like 50 degrees more though!
Shaun J

SwampDonkey

Looks to me it'll get the job done. The best use of those is the cold wind packed drifts that you can walk on. I never saw a snow plow ever handle them too well, usually have to make multiple passes. But a snow blower, one pass provided it's not deeper than the blade. ;D

It's been dry here for awhile with drying winds. The fields look like they are ready to be planted like early May. Powder dry on top. No sign of snow here, next event is going to be rain by end of this week.

It was in the 50's today and sun.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I like plowing the snow also, but a blower won't leave large snow banks to fill in with drifting/blowing snow to tunnel your way out of .
Question to Norm would be ... do you have a small enough tractor to hook to the front of that blower  ??? ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

I push all my snowbanks to the south and east when possible and don't have too much trouble with drifting. If and when I do get bad drifting and I can't push them with the pickup truck I usually just use the front end loader when I have the tractor going to feed round bales.

I used to use the blower more to open up roads into the woods for making firewood but now I just use the dozer as I can also build up an ice/snow road when needed to cross a wet spot.

Corley5

I haven't used our blower in several years.  I like the old plow truck.  The blowers are there if the snow gets out of hand like it used to.  We bought an Allied two stage 7 foot blower from west of Cincinnati a few years back.  It was purchased new in the late 60s or early 70s, I forget which ;), as a result of a record breaking snowstorm and was never used it again.  Just sat in the barn.  The old man died and his son decided to sell it and we bought it.  Within a couple weeks of us picking it up that area saw record breaking snowfall comparable to the one when the blower was first purchased  8) ;D :D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

With thousands of acres of open field all around, it don't matter were it's shoved with a plow. There is plenty more where that came from on the wind. ;) Up in northern Maine and some places here, they have to take a grader and a blower up across the head lands of fields to make a second path along the north or west side to act like a snow fence. The wind up on the high lands never stops blowing in winter, or not very often. And that will pack snow like ice in -30 weather.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Don't have any close neighbors to you? They will be getting thier yard full of snow from the blower.

I want to see a picture of it in use like this. And this is only a little tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Nearest neighbor is a mile away so he's safe.  :D

It's an 8' wide unit meant for 75hp and above tractors, I'll put it behind my JD7210 which is 100hp. I found it online at a JD dealership in northern Iowa, they told me an older gentleman had bought it and used it a couple of time before passing away. Looks brand new so I have to believe the poor guy didn't get much use from it. We drive in to this dealership and they have 12 brand new ones like this on the lot and they were the smallest ones they carried. Next size up had to go on at least a 150hp tractor, thing was taller than me with twin chutes on them. This part of Iowa is flat with lots of cattle farms so I guess they must sell a bunch for clearing the yards out.

I'll get video next big snowfall and make sure Patty puts the cat away first. Mark M would have been so proud of me.  :)

thecfarm

I remember that thread.   :D  I tried to chew up my chainsaw chaps once. I had company the night before and took them off and just threw them on the ground.  ::)  That night it snowed and I had the snow blower in full gear,until I hit my chaps. I had no idea what happened.,until I looked. Lucky no damage was done to any of the plastic clips on the chaps. Just one shear bolt was the price.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

This is the thread for you news guys or ones that have forgot about it.

Link to "A Bad Day Blowing Snow"

AvT

I love my snow blower.  It is a 7 ft and makes the 65 horse tractor snort bigtime.  snowplows dont move the snow 30 ft away from the road.  I dont have a cab which would be nice but I only need to use the blower a half dozen times a year so it is no big deal.  blade/plow definately have their place and are more practical in many applications but for my 1/4 mile drieway and parking spot by the house I prefer the blower by far.  it doesnt work well in the log yard.  It doesnt take much of a stick to take out the shear pin.  I rammmed a log against the auger in mine last year and bent it pretty bad... no more log yard clearing with it!
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Corley5

I wore a snowmobile helmet while blowing on windy days.  It doesn't seem to matter which way the chute is pointed the wind is going to blow the snow back at you eventually.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 07, 2011, 04:22:34 AM
With thousands of acres of open field all around, it don't matter were it's shoved with a plow. There is plenty more where that came from on the wind. ;) Up in northern Maine and some places here, they have to take a grader and a blower up across the head lands of fields to make a second path along the north or west side to act like a snow fence. The wind up on the high lands never stops blowing in winter, or not very often. And that will back snow like ice in -30 weather.

Don't have too many open fields to the north and west of me just a huge ole Lake about 1/4 mile away that once froze acts like a field. hahahaha. Its pretty rare for the wind not to be blowing in the winter here as well. Around "here" we sorta treat plowing as a job even if you only plow your own driveway/yard/feedlow, as its usually a twice daily job because we get more snow that most places east of the Rockies.

sawguy21

I work in the small engine industry and have seen all manner of foreign objects jammed in snow blower augers.  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!