iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lignan?

Started by mooleycow, December 25, 2011, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooleycow

what do you know about lignan?  extracted from wood.  suppose to be stronger than steel. 

SwampDonkey

It is present in the fine cavities within the mature cell wall where it acts as a bulking agent and reduces the dimensional changes in the cell wall with moisture changes because of it's low hygroscopicity. It gives rigidity and stiffness to the cell wall. It is thermoplastic and used in particle board. Requires specific enzymes of decay organisms to break down lignan, thus rot wood. Wood below the fibre saturation point (MC 26-30%) will resist decay.

[Source: Textbook of Wood Technology, 4th Ed., 1980]
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

It is the glue matrix that holds the cellulose chains in the cell walls of the wood cells together.  In the pulp mills, it is dissolved in a strong solution of sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfide (white liquor), turning the solution into black liquor.  This allows the cellulose chains to separate into individual fibers.  The black liquor is concentrated by evaporating out water to give a gear oil type consistency.  Is is blown into a humongous boiler and burned.  The lignin provides the fuel and the heat and lack of oxygen in the boiler melts the sodium into a molten metal and reduces it (strips off all the oxygen atoms to make it highly reactive).  This molten sodium is then added to water and calcium oxide to re-form white liquor to start the process all over again.

So, lignin is the flesh on the bones of the wood cellulose and it is a highly concentrated fuel in the pulping process.  That is more than you probably wanted know, but I used to work in the Power and Recovery Unit in a Pulp Mill  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Anyone with a name like mooleycow should be able to educate us about fiber like lignin, cellulose, and hemicellulose. That is what ruminants need to keep their stomachs working well. And being able to digest those woody plant materials is what sets those ruminants apart from other species.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Keeps the man with the shovel busy around the barn to. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Can SOMEBODY tell ME what WDH and SWAMPDONKEY just said!  smiley_alcoholic_01
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Basically, it's water resistant. ;D

Texas Ranger

Swampdonkey was talking about mucking out a barn, the rest of it, I don't know.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Coon

All I got out of it was something about the north end of a southbound cow.  :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!