Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Crusarius

longtime lurker

It is destined for a boardroom for "a company of equals"

I know two of the guys in that company... they probably want the distance to keep them apart. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, I loaned a customer a book off of my bookshelf and he returned it yesterday.
In his other hand was a present for my wife:

My wife loved it. He said so far he had made some 70 or 80 of these to sell at craft fairs.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Good looking workmanship. Now you better behave because your customer will be very upset if you make your wife mad and she was to kill you with that roller.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 27, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
Jim,

Good looking workmanship. Now you better behave because your customer will be very upset if you make your wife mad and she was to kill you with that roller.
You got that right.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

I would love to see how that was done....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Hilltop366

Nice rolling pin!

I think the square blank was cut in two at a angle and glued back together with the darker wood in between the two pieces. (twice)

If you search "keltic knot wood turning" you will see something similar only more cuts.

Jemclimber

It's not too difficult K,
first the different boards are glued lengthwise. Next the laminated boards are cut with a chop saw at the angle of your desired "X" and then glue one leg of the "X" into that gap. When that dries, flip it 180 and cut the other leg of  the "X" and glue in the same size board into that gap.  Clamping can be a little difficult with the "X" and it's easier with a slot so the board stays in line. Without a slot, and the pressure clamping on the end, the board wants to slide away from this angled cut.

When all this gluing is finished, you simply center it on the lathe and turn your desired shape. A rolling pin, a goblet, an icecream scoop handle......   You can also cut this "X" in all four sides and at different angles which gives a pretty neat aesthetic.
lt15

tnpete

Quote from: RPowers on August 14, 2014, 10:22:20 AM
I resawed some old oak timbers for a customer who wanted them squared to 6x8 so he could crosscut them on his miter saw. Said he was going to tile a floor with them. Last night he emailed me a picture of his finished floor. How neat is that?

Did he happen to tell you how thick they were cut? Reason I ask, have a bunch of ERC that will be sawn up again. And I have an ideal using the Red Cedar. No way will I let my wife see that picture. :o

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jemclimber on March 28, 2018, 12:04:45 PM
It's not too difficult K,
first the different boards are glued lengthwise. Next the laminated boards are cut with a chop saw at the angle of your desired "X" and then glue one leg of the "X" into that gap. When that dries, flip it 180 and cut the other leg of  the "X" and glue in the same size board into that gap.  Clamping can be a little difficult with the "X" and it's easier with a slot so the board stays in line. Without a slot, and the pressure clamping on the end, the board wants to slide away from this angled cut.

When all this gluing is finished, you simply center it on the lathe and turn your desired shape. A rolling pin, a goblet, an icecream scoop handle......   You can also cut this "X" in all four sides and at different angles which gives a pretty neat aesthetic.
Thanks...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Several years ago I was in an antique store and bought a marble rolling pin for my wife, never did figure out what I was thinking.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

longtime lurker

Anything I say here will get me in trouble. :D

ljmathias

Get you in trouble? Maybe if you specify whether it's right side up or upside down. Would make a difference in the perception of the figure portrayed...

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

LAZERDAN

Can you give us some measurements ??

longtime lurker

Quote from: LAZERDAN on May 27, 2018, 11:05:12 PM
Can you give us some measurements ??
ohhhhhhhhh 'bout 36DD by the look :D

Dakota

Watch out, you've got one foot on the path to the wood shed. :D
Dave Rinker

WV Sawmiller

Do you still have the book matched mate to that one? ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

A fellow who bought some cedar from us a couple of months ago sent me a few pictures of his finished table.  He is a metal worker by trade and evidently likes shiny wood. 

I like the white tube base that he built.
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Skipper11A

That's an incredibly beautiful table....in exactly the wrong location.  This is not going to have a happy ending,  because his wife is NOT happy with this.  Trust me, his wife is NOT happy with this.

JJ

Never thought of using granite for window sills..

fishpharmer

I never thought of using cedar for a mirror :).  Beautiful work!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!