iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sinker Logs

Started by KjBarnwood, March 18, 2008, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KjBarnwood

I was wondering if any one has any info. about finding sinker logs in PA or WV, not so much as how to find the but find the areas to look?  I assume you are looking on major waterways? 

Thanks Kj

Furby

First place to start will be the rules and laws of doing so in the state and counties you are looking in.
In some cases there may be limitations on where you can look.
So I would start there.

Also do a search here on the forum. :)

Fla._Deadheader

The feeder streams to the main waterway is where most of the logs were brought to the river.

First thing to do, is, research for mill locations along the rivers. Research for landings where the logs were "yarded" in the main rivers. Predominant winds MIGHT drive logs onto shallow areas, where they are exposed in times of very low water .

Get in the water, with scuba gear if you have any, and crawl along the bottom, with a "T" handled probe, about 24" long. Probe the bottom, as you move. Look for "humps" in the surface of the bottom. COULD be logs. Look in outside bends. Look around OLD bridge structures. Log rafts would hit the structures and go to the bottom.  Logs get covered with sand after 100 years on the bottom. Got a johnboat ??? Best thing for exploring the small feeder streams.

Do the logs HAVE to be pre-cut timbers, or, would blowdowns also be takable ???  Sometimes, you can remove "Hazardous" restrictions.

BE CAREFUL of underwater traps, such as, anchor ropes in tree snags, trotlines, especially abandoned ones. Tree limb snags to puncture body parts and catch you up in the dive gear. Hoop nets will get your attention, in very murky-dark water. Carry at LEAST 2 SHARP knives underwater. You COULD drop the first one. USE A BUOY FLOAT as you move around, and NEVER do this alone. This is NOT for the weak at heart. TRUST ME !!!!!!!!

DO RESEARCH, before getting very wet. The librarian is your friend, as is, OLD TIMERS. They saw a LOT, or, heard stories from Granddads or THEIR friends.

Later, we can discuss what you find  ::) ::) ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thedeeredude

Well, I'd look around the Williamsport area on the susie-q river.  And around central PA, union county and the surrounding.  Lot of logging went on around there in the boom time.

Dave Shepard

At least there's no gators in PA. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

Gators are like Pussycats, EH ???  :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Why heck yeah, like pussycats.  Georgia Bulldogs feed on them regularly.  :D :D :D

Dave Shepard

smiley_deadheader alligator <----tooltip reads: Deadheader playing with alligator.  :D :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KjBarnwood

Thanks guys, I have checked into permits, and was hoping they would give me an idea on "approved waterways".  I was considering near Uniontown, so I guess I was in the ballpark.

I have heard of guys finding them after they popped up after a heavy rain.  I was wondering if this was common.  I assume the waterways have to be fairly deep and wide???

Kj

Fla._Deadheader

Deep enough and wide enough to float a log  ;D

Has this been done before, that you know of ???

Did you get a positive response to being permitted ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

KjBarnwood

The permit was no problem at all!  and pretty cheap!
I don't know of anyone personally, and have only heard rumors of some one doing it. 

Thank You Sponsors!