iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sinker logs

Started by xlogger, July 28, 2017, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Got a call today about someone selling me some cypress sinker logs. I've never cut any. Are they worth more cut than regular logs. I told him I'd be interested in any over 2 ft to cut into slabs.I would think that they are harder on blades than regular logs. How have any of you done with them?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

Other than dirt/sand there is not a significant difference between sinker and non-sinker.  Just wash them off and saw.  Sinker Cypress Job

Now for the definition of "sinker".  Folks have been know to push logs into their pond, leave them for a while and then dredge them out....presto, instant "sinker" Cypress.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

xlogger

I understand that they have a nice odor after sawing does this stay with the lumber or slabs for a long time? Also he wants a pretty good price for them, compare to walnut or other species what would you say on price per bd ft and how pecky slabs might sell?
MM thanks for sending the older post.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

The smell is/was not really a problem for me.  It quickly dissipates.  Another Sinker Cypress job

I do not buy or sell so I am of no help with pricing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

xlogger

I looked at your other posts, on the pecky wood if the holes go all the way threw the boards are they still consider good?

LeeB

Search for posts by Fla-Deadhead. He and his son had a sinker log reclamation business for a while.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I have never sawn Pecky Cypress less than 1" thick, so I have not seen holes going all of the way through, but I do not see where the holes would decrease the value.  Maybe even increase it depending upon the use.

Pecky is some purdy stuff.

And so is stained sinker.

fishfighter

True sinker sells anywhere from $4 to as much as $6 a BF dried around here. True sinker will have the stain like what MM posted and the heart has a real rich dark red color.

Peck se;;s for about the same too!

Thank You Sponsors!