iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Sidetrip

Started by Magicman, May 31, 2014, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After leaving Jake and Lorraine's place we traveled North toward the Smokey Mountains.  The first night we stayed on Black Rock Mountain which is the highest mountain in Georgia.  We cruised on in to Pigeon Forge the next day for some shopping.

Afterwards we made the move to Cade's Cove for some quiet time.

The Cade's Cove Loop is always nice.

And we did get to see a bear with a couple of cubs.  She was feeding on fresh greens.

Only the cub's ears showed above the weeds.

Cantilever construction on the barn.

The Grist Mill was operating and grinding corn.

Another cantilever barn.

It was nice to drive the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville, NC, to Tellico Plains, Tn, again and it proved to be a beautiful drive.
We stayed off of the Interstate Hwys. as much as possible during the entire trip. 

I will be back to unpacking and reloading the sawmilling tools tomorrow afternoon.  I got two sawmilling calls on the cell phone and there were two more on the answering machine.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

MM,

Actually, Brasstown Bald is the highest mountain in Georgia.  Black Rock Mountain is a cool place for sure, though.  I have good memories from my wife's girl scout troop days.  I was the designated "Toter". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Obviously I musta misread and the sign probably said; "highest state park in Georgia".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is a nice park for sure.  Did you walk the hiking trail?  I love that part of the world. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on May 31, 2014, 09:52:42 PMDid you walk the hiking trail?
No, it was flooding when we got there and we left kinda early the next morning.  The poor folks next to us 'bout got drowned.  They were a pitiful bunch with wet everything.   :-\

Peter Drouin

What's with the barns? Why that way?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Your guess is as good as mine.  Cade's Cove is the only place that I have ever seen cantilever designed barns.  It sacrifices "barn space" and creates the open shed area all of the way around.  Unusual is why I shared the pictures.

Peter Drouin

I would have not left town without knowing. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

So, Peter, are you heading to Cades Cove to find out  ???

:D :D

Dave Shepard

I think that is a fairly common barn style found in the Southern Appalachian Mountains.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Qweaver

That barn is really interesting...but why?  It would make a handy place to park or store stuff mainly out of the weather.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on June 01, 2014, 11:03:47 AM
So, Peter, are you heading to Cades Cove to find out  ???

:D :D

Something that odd , I would have stoped at a store or gas station a restaurant, and asked someone about it is all.
Maybe someone on the FF knows?  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 01, 2014, 09:22:48 AMI would have not left town without knowing. :D :D 
I have left Cade's Cove many many times without asking.  I just take it at face value.  It was what the landowner/builder wanted at the time, and they did not have sheds like WDH.   :D

Raider Bill

You were in my back yard. My land is not far from Tellico Plains. I'm known to shop at the Save A Lot there and hang out at the beach. The Cherohala is one of my favorite rides.
Was Cades Cove busy? Normally the traffic is bumper to bumper during peak times.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Nope, not busy at all.  There probably was no more than a dozen campers at the campground and no traffic on the loop.  We hit it right.

On prior trips we have stayed at the campground on the East side of Tellico Plains just before the Cherohala.  This time we stayed at Indian Boundary.  It's also a pleasant drive along the river going East from the fish hatchery. 

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 02, 2014, 09:26:12 AM
You were in my back yard. My land is not far from Tellico Plains. I'm known to shop at the Save A Lot there and hang out at the beach. The Cherohala is one of my favorite rides.
Was Cades Cove busy? Normally the traffic is bumper to bumper during peak times.

So what do you know about the barns with the overhang?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

I bet that he left, too, without asking. 

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 31, 2014, 10:53:09 PMWhat's with the barns? Why that way? 
Google "why cantilever barns in cade's cove".  Here is one answer:  Cantilever Barns  &  Pictures

Peter Drouin

Thanks for the info. The barns are over the top :D
I don't know if I like them or not.Will have to think on that a little :D :D
I bet they don't take a snow load well :D :D
The timbers must be hard wood. Some do overhang a lot :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

thecfarm

Magicman,interesting, with 110 families that was big,I would feel. We have a little history here,on the hill,school house,post office But nothing of that size. As stated in the link,people did not travel like we do now. First off they did not really have the means and they did not need to. Everything they needed was in a few miles of them.
When we go to Lancaster County,PA I have noticed the cantilever on barns. These are all old barns too.I don't really want to say cantilever barns because it is only on one side or end of the barns.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2014, 09:13:14 AMI don't really want to say cantilever barns because it is only on one side or end of the barns. 
The way I read Wikipedia that is cantilever:  cantilever

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2014, 09:13:14 AM
When we go to Lancaster County,PA I have noticed the cantilever on barns. These are all old barns too.I don't really want to say cantilever barns because it is only on one side or end of the barns.

I'm just across the river from Lancaster Co and we have lots of old barns with the overhang on one side, in fact my barn has it and I was told this barn was built in 1904. I've always thought it was to leave the doors open into the livestock area without getting rain and snow in. But then what do I know.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

Lynn, I forgot to mention the museum in Tellico Plains has hundreds of old telephones, switches, operator stations and gear. They also have a nice collection of guns.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Sounds like I need to slow down when I go back through.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!