iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunter app question

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2017, 04:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

So the tree service guy who bought some wood from me asked me if I would let him and his son bow hunt on my land out behind the sawmill.
I told him yes.
He came back another time and told me he didn't see any deer when they were out hunting. But that I had a big stand of white oak back there.
I asked him if he was sure he was on my land.
He said he had a "hunter's app" that shows you where you are on a person's lot including lot lines.
I texted him a while ago asking for the name of the app as I wanted to use it.
He said he deleted it.

I just downloaded one but it appears that you may need to buy maps.

Does anyone know of a good "free" (or low cost) app that shows where you are on a person's land? including boundaries.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ron Scott

Try the ScoutLook Hunting app
~Ron

Jim_Rogers

Gearbox

GIS mapping is what the county foresters use . It doesn't work well on a phone but you can transfer corners to a GPS .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

hopm

clearcut

Jim,

There is an app called "Hunt App" that does exactly as you describe. There are a number of hunting and real estate apps that provide similar information. All of the ones that I have looked at use the same model of a free or inexpensive app download, combined with a fee or subscription for data. That may be the price of admission for this type of information.

Property boundary data is available for most of the US at either a town, county, or state level. It is somewhat hit or miss as to quantity, quality, and cost. Some jurisdictions offer the data online for free, others make it difficult and expensive to retrieve. Sometimes you can get the data from the county or town, and not the state, or visa versa. Depends. Resellers collect and package up this data and will sell you standardized chunks to import into a Geographic Information System.

Massachusetts has this data available for free using MassGIS and their Oliver map interface. You can select an area and download the Level 3 Assessor's Parcels data for a limited number of records.

http://maps.massgis.state.ma.us/map_ol/oliver.php

You can also download it town by town.

http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/it-serv-and-support/application-serv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/datalayers/download-level3-parcels.html

MassGIS also has an abundance of other GIS data available, including 2014-2016 othophoto imagery.

http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/it-serv-and-support/application-serv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/datalayers/layerlist.html

This approach has you downloading the data, importing it into a suitable GIS, and then exporting it to a format suitable for the GPS app or device that you are using. That's what the hunter/real estate apps are doing for you.

There are a number of Global Positioning System (GPS) apps available that allow you to import your own map.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Magicman

Hunt Stand is OK, but on my property very few of the property lines are accurate.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clearcut

I fight this battle most days. Most of the property line data, I believe, comes from assessor's plat maps. These were never intended to accurately represent on the ground location. They were used to demonstrate relationships between parcels - who owed what so you could look up the appropriate deed. They tend to somewhat resemble reality rather then represent reality.  However, as GIS systems became affordable and useful, these were the only boundary data available.

Deed descriptions and on the ground evidence, corners and such, are generally given more weight.

Really this information should be used to identify the landowner of record to ask permission and such and should be confirmed on the ground.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Jim_Rogers

Wow, thanks for all the links, I'll check them out and let you know how I make out.

Jim Rogers

BOWHUNTERZ7

ONYX HUNT MAPS

https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

Try this,  I was within 1-5 yards of all my property lines with this app

Thank You Sponsors!