iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch and trailer to load logs

Started by SCSawyer, January 03, 2009, 06:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

hey guys just needing some ideas I have already bought a trailer and mounted a swing arm in the front center and I plan on mounting a winch to this so I can pic up all these free logs around any idea how big a winch i need ? ie.1500lb or what? Its just to much trouble to load the tractor un load take logs home go back load tractor again.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

pineywoods

Assuming you talking electric winch ? Bigger is better, I'd go with at least 3000
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SCSawyer

yes electric 12 volt I didnt really know the weight of decent size logs to go by

tyb525

There's a log weight calc in the forum extras. Of course you gotta factor in sliding resistance
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

wtf

Don't know about the free logs (my free logs have dryied up ) but I'd go 8000 lb. You could parbuckle up the side or pull them up the end with a gin-pole, or if the trailer tilts, that works well too.
PS. you might look at electric over hydraulic also.

What
Russ

tyb525

I pull logs up from the back, my sides are too high for it to be practical to pull them up over the sides.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

breederman

Search for DanG-DeadHeader log lifter here on the forum.
Together we got this !

Ironwood

Definitely Fla Deadheader set up, simple stupid, cheap, effective. There it covered everything necessary for me to be interested ;D Really cool design.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sgschwend

My experience with 12V lifting winches is that they lift far less than specified.  I wish I could say how much less, it is something like half or less.  So the 80000 pound suggested earlier is probably a good choice. 

One last thing, be sure and set a large battery next to the winch and use big cables, don't skimp on the cable size.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Chuck White

Also, keep in mind that some winches are not made for lifting, just pulling!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jander3

I use a manual 1500# winch with a brake.   I can lift 800# without much effort.   The brake holds the load in place and prevents freewheeling.

Warren

I think most winches are rated for max pull with the first layer of cable on the spool.  As you add more cable to the spool (diameter increases) the pulling capacity goes down. 

Winches are one area where I think it is better to err on the "Bigger is better" side of the equation....
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Dodgy Loner

If money's an issue, you may look into manual winches instead of electric.  I can mount two manual winches on my trailer and have used them to purbuckle several logs in the 3000-5000 lb. range with little effort.  I don't know what the winches are rated for, I got them for free from a friend.  I can tell you they are very heavy duty :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

mad dog

Chek out portable winch,You could use it in your wood lot,and 100's of other uses.
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

mike_van

You can pretty much double any winches pull by using a snatch block on the load. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dakota

Dave Rinker

metalspinner

I've got an 8000lb electric on the front of mine and have yet to find a log that cannot be loaded.

Including this one...;D

With all the weight you are putting into motion, you do not want to be wondering if your winch can handle it while it's on the way up. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SCSawyer

Quote from: breederman on January 03, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
Alright dan explain how this contraption works ?

bck

I have a #9000 electric winch and like metalspinner I have yet to find a log it wont load. Just be sure to start with a fresh battery. I am using a 1000cca battery and can load several big logs with it but I wouldnt try (  :) again  :) ) for two trips without recharging the battery each trip.

stumpy

I have a setup like Dakota.  It works great.  I use a 10,000# Warn winch and even though this setup doesn't do a dead pull, It grunts a bit on huge logs.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ohsoloco

It's been mentioned already, but winch most winches are rated for rolling weight, like a vehicle.  I have a 9,000 lb. winch on my trailer, just drag them up the back, and I gotta use a snatch block on the big'uns.

DanG

Quote from: SCSawyer on January 04, 2009, 02:54:07 PM
Quote from: breederman on January 03, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
Alright dan explain how this contraption works ?

SCSawyer, the one pictured was built and owned by Getoverit.  He built his as an A frame, which seems to work pretty well.  The principle is simple.  The arch is hinged at the bottom, and you simply lower it by reversing the winch, which is attached to the top.  Once you've lowered it an appropriate amount, which will be obvious, you simply attach the end of the log to the top, via a chain or cable, and winch it forward.  As it moves forward, the top of the arch also gets higher, which lifts the end of the log onto the trailer.  At that point, you can either lower it and reattach the log further back, or simply hook the winch directly to the log and drag it aboard.  It works really good on a trailer that is low, with rails or wheels that are higher than the bed.  I used a 10,500lb Milemarker hydraulic winch on mine.  Getoverit had a 8000lb Harbor Freight electric on his and it worked well too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bandmiller2

Si,electric winches are quick and easy but have kinda severe duty cycle limits and will bring a battery to its knees fast.What I did was get a commercial grade electric winch with a burned out motor [common]and mounted a hydraulic motor in its place,unlimited duty cycle,easy control.If you have any way to get hyd. give it some thought.Junk yards seem to always have big old pto winches around too hard for the average person to hook up.A real winch small gas engine and alot of cable, yard and load.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SCSawyer

ohsoloco

I mounted a master disconnect switch in my engine compartment, and hooked it up to the battery with some 2/0 welding cable, then ran the same 2/0 cable from the switch to the back of the truck along the frame.  Used a connector I got at a welding shop to hook up the cable to the winch that's mounted on the trailer.  I also have to hook up the ground cable on the winch to the bumper of the truck.  Let the truck run when I'm winching logs.  Never had any ill effects to the truck or battery.

Thank You Sponsors!