iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

May was on the cold side here and was mainly running off the electric furnace for heat up until today. The electric bill arrived and was $90 more for that electric heat. But then again, wood isn't free is it? I figure that is 1/3 of a cord burned. A cord runs $270. So I call even Stevens on that. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lxskllr

DRT=DoubleRopeTechnique. It's the more traditional way to ascend a tree where one end of the line attaches to your saddle, goes up and over a branch or false crotch, and back to the climber. A prussik from the saddle attaches to the running end, and you haul yourself up the tree using the prussik as a progress capture. Benefits are it doesn't take much gear, and the load is distributed on both legs of the line. Drawbacks are friction is a problem where the rope runs, and it's physically hard and slow.

SRT=SingleRopeTechnique. This is more modern, and gear intensive. Professional arborists probably use it more than anything. One end of the line is anchored either in the canopy, or back to the ground around the trunk. Various mechanical ascenders are used to get up the rope. Benefits are it's faster and easier to climb. Drawbacks are it takes more expensive gear, and to my way of thinking, interesting new failure points with the new expensive gear.

I don't want interesting failure points when I'm up in a tree. I like the simplicity of a rope and a couple knots. I have all the time in the world, and I'm doing this for fun, so I don't have to be efficient with time. It's also just a sideline. My main interest in climbing is with spurs, but they shouldn't be used on pruning jobs due to damage to the tree. It's good to know though. The limb I took off would have been difficult to get to without ropes. I /may/ have been able to free climb it, but I'd have been pushing my aging body. I'm not as agile and pain tolerant as I used to be. The other option would have been a ladder, but that would have required someone else to remove the ladder once I got to my perch, then replace it once I got the limb down.

SwampDonkey

Nobody in North Dakota or northern MI has taters up like these in the garden. :D ;) No skips or misses. I've been working around the potato barrel a few years. Blossoms by July 1st I figure. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Nice job you did there.
We use to grow taters growing up. We had just a garden for them things
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

In the 70's here today, light breeze and mix of sun and cloud. Very nice, should be like this all summer. :)

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 15, 2019, 03:28:52 AM
 . But then again, wood isn't free is it? I figure that is 1/3 of a cord burned. A cord runs $270. So I call even Stevens on that. :D
It isn't free even if you cut your own .You have time,fuel, cost to own and maintain the saw ,beat up pick up to haul it in etc .I don't think it fetches $ 270 a cord here though .
Having said that I agree because it's a pain in the neck trying to burn wood after the temps rise ,warm day time ,cool at night . 

thecfarm

Another good drying day. Wind and sun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Rain yesterday and last night and temps in the 50s. Was a sweat shirt kind of day again.

SwampDonkey

70's again with a nice breeze on the porch. 8)

Al_Smith

Drizzled all night then cleared up about 8 AM today .The sun shined the puddles disappeared .It turned out to be a nice day .

lxskllr

Not terribly hot; 82°, but very humid. Pulled some weeds today, and got my new PoulanPro case setup with supplies, but didn't do much else. My experiment with 5/32 file storage is sliding them down a channel in corrugated cardboard. That'll work til I get a piece of bamboo. Haven't fully fleshed the idea out, but I want to use bamboo with a cork in the top for file storage.

JV

Sitting here watching it rain again.  Came down to southern Indiana Saturday.  We have had around 5 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.  One place northeast of here has had 8 inches since Saturday.  No let up predicted until Friday.  May have to swim home.  Several tornadoes north of here Saturday night.  Grin and bear it I guess.  But like the saying "let a smile be your umbrella and you'll end up with a mouth full of rain."
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

lxskllr

85° with 85% humidity  D^:

Awful weather. Fall can't get here soon enough. Getting older, and time goes by faster, but I can't help wanting to speed through summer. Figuring I'll live to 80, I'd happily die at 65-70 if it meant I could do without summer the rest of my life. That part is complete waste anyway. Mowing lawn, ticks, mosquitoes, and heat.

SwampDonkey

80F and 55% humidity today, nice little breeze. :)

chevytaHOE5674

58° today with a cool north wind, fog rolled in off the lake and the temp dropped to 49° about 6pm. 

lxskllr

Hot and humid again, but a bit less so than yesterday. Split a bunch of ash at work. Not even sure why. I guess it'll be my emergency reserve, but it's not like I'm gonna run out of wood any time soon. Just didn't want to see it wasted. It'll be about 1 cord after I split the uglies with a saw, and a bit more on top after adding my milling scraps.

SwampDonkey

84F today and around 45% RH.

chevytaHOE5674

Made it all the way UP to 63° today then the fog rolled in and it dropped to 48° and was cold and damp the afternoon.

SwampDonkey

Light rain this morning with 60F. Helps them beans germinate. They are mostly up, but a few duds germinate slowly and don't have much of an apex to make leaves.

It's a battle with the cukes, the beetles chew up the cotyledons. I'm using diatomaceous earth to slow the beetles.

lxskllr

Pretty miserable today; this morning especially. Almost 100% humidity, and was 75° when I got to the first job. Glasses fogged up, instrument fogged up, everything stank... Ended up topping out at 80° with a couple boosts when the sun came out, but the humidity made everything terrible.

thecfarm

Rain at 1pm today. Suppose to rain through the night. It was starting to dry out. Wife made some pretty good ruts mowing the field behind the mailbox a couple weeks ago. Tires hardly got wet this morning. There is at least one spring that goes through the field. High 50's.

SwampDonkey

Rainy with showers and 60F this morning. Birds are singing, can't be all that bad.

Al_Smith

Two decent days with no rain then low and behold pennies from heaven .Rain all through the night the very same day I took delivery of a 40 foot shipping container .Good thing I have a bull dozer else it never would have gotten sat .Got some ruts to fill in .That's the way the cookie crumbles . :(

lxskllr

Pretty nice day. Maxed out at ~80°, and low humidity. It's been a cool spring for the most part.

Lost my USAF survival knife today. I was brushcutting, the harness pad was knocking it around, and it fell out of the sheath. I made a couple passes with a metal detector, but there was so much crap on the ground it was hard to swing. Looking for a brown and black knife on a forest floor full of cut brush... I have to order another one. I use it all the time. Disturbingly, Amazon says it was discontinued by Ontario. Their website shows OOS, so... I can still get one, but I can't lose it again if they aren't making more.

chevytaHOE5674

Two mornings ago was 36° with patchy frost, 55° yesterday then back to 39° last night. Today it made it to 65° with a nice breeze that was perfect for working, just wish it would get warmer so things would grow.

Still feeding one herd of cattle hay because the grass just isn't growing. We are easily 3 to 4 weeks behind and dont look to be catching up at all. Good news is the lawn has only needed mowing twice since it keeps freezing and turning brown.

Thank You Sponsors!