iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Flowers

Started by LeeB, March 06, 2002, 05:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

LAst week on my way to the airport in NEw Orleans, I saw a bbunch of trees with red flowers budding out. Don't have a clue as to what the were. Trees had a semi slick bark. Growing in the wild, not yard trees. Good size trees. 40-50 ft in hight. Anybody got a clue as to what they are? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

This time of year, that would be Redbud. Purty, ain't they?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

might be Maple too.  The maple are loaded with their red, two winged seeds which will literally cover an otherwise bare tree and make it look like it has flowers. :-/ :P

LeeB

I guess it could be either one. The redbud around central Texas has a different color and don't get neaerly that big. Flowers are a lot smaller also. These almost loked like bright red leaves. Don't know about maple as they don't grow here. Was hard to tell much about them at 70 mph. I will be driving to work this time instead of flying so maybe I will be able to get a closer look. Hopefully they will still be in bloom. I thought maybe they might be dogwood. Any body got any pix of them? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

swampwhiteoak

40-50ft dogwood?  I don't think so.  Unless there is some larger variety I'm not familiar with.

Texas Ranger

Swamp, kinda hard t imagin a 40-50 foot redbud.  20-30 maybe.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

L. Wakefield

What about crepe myrtle? The bark is 'slick'. I don't know how tall they get at max. Colour- I've seen more purple but then 'redbud' gets to be purple too when it gets into flower. ::)
lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

DanG

I think Tom is right. My climate, and Tom's is about the same as N'Awlins, and the Redbud has finished blooming here. I noticed some maples budding out this morning.
Dogwood, in the wild will "bloom" white. There are some pink ones, but they are cultivated as a yard ornament.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

I agree, at that size and quantity its about gotta be maple. Ours are just popping out.

The neat thing is in a week or two you can see a color diff between the red's and the sugars around here, they're more orange.

(this photo is really late bloom, modified March 17 '02)

Ron Scott

There is a "lot of red' in the red maple buds and leaves and its a medium sized tree. Also the red maple is one of the first trees to flower in the spring, long before the leaves appear.

It is also used widely as an ornamental and shade tree. In the north here it provides a spectacular display after the first fall frosts.

I usually favor it "to leave" (no pun intended) along road sides, home and building sites etc.,anywhere in the "seen area" for fall colors in my selection marked hardwood timber sales. It is very spectacular when you can work with it naturally in a landscape of green conifer background, and some intermixed white birch. My loggers are really landscapers.

Anyway I'm sure that Tom or one of our southern foresters know what the bright red budded trees are. When I go to New Orleans I'm usually not looking at the trees. My time to get out of the woods. :D
~Ron

swampwhiteoak

Yeah Don I thought the same thing too.  I thought maybe if it was fed some southern cooking it might get a little bigger :D

LeeB

That may be it. The color is right. Buds were a little bigger. MAyhaps they were nearing the end of thier bloom. LeeB

Don P

I took a picture to replace the one above today, its nearer the end of bloom.The top picture is a red maple, the second shot is a sugar maple.

Thank You Sponsors!