iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

51 year old green horn needs help!

Started by seekingjoy, May 17, 2010, 10:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seekingjoy

Hi all, just bought me a new little 20" chain saw to cut down some trees in my back yard and started thinking of ways to make $ with it. (yes, I'm sure I'll need something bigger) :D   though my knowledge is little I always loved wood.  I'm in the construction and home remodeling business and am used to hard work.

:P I first thought of the idea when I heard the price on an old oak beam going for near a $1000.00!  maybe I heard wrong but am still very interested in learning as much as possible before I invest any money.

I'm looking for any suggestions on the best way to go about the business on a shoestring, wheather it's selling logs, cutting & selling beams, mulch, selling to lumber yards, firewood, etc...

any kind of info would be useful and appreciated!

Alan

ps. some of the forestry forum jargon is not understood yet so please bear with me.  thanks!
Alan

Jeff

Quoteps. some of the forestry forum jargon is not understood yet so please bear with me.  thanks!

We can help with that. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=dictionary

Not knowing anything about what you would like to do, the best I can do to begin with is welcome you to the Forum and direct you to the search button above to explore.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Alan welcome to Forestry Forum.  You are at the right place to find joy and lots of other useful information.  I too am still learning alot of the jargon. 

Your idea of starting a business on a shoestring sounds good.  That's generally how I do things. ;D Now you have a chainsaw all you need is a splitting maul or mechanical logsplitter and you can start a firewood business.  Not sure where you are located but I think if you cut and split the wood starting now, most will be dry enough to use for firewood. 

Or you can get a Granberg Alaskan chainsaw mill for your chainsaw and saw your own beams and lumber.  I have seen several on craigslist.org in the last few days.

I am sure you will get many more good ideas from all the great members here, so get some coffee and hang around a while.  You may even may make some good friends. 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

seekingjoy

thanks guys, I'll be hanging around.  I'm already addicted to this forum!  :D 8)
Alan

seekingjoy

another ? on my mind is, how do you determine approximate bf in say, a straight 50 ft. tall by 2 ft. diameter tree?
Alan

Tom

Click on that red forestry forum toolbox on the left side of the page, under the sponsors.  It goes to a bunch of calculators that were created by a couple or three forestry forum members.

captain_crunch

Just for Grins Scale it as 1- 50 ft log then mark 3- 16 ft logs and estimate scale end dia(small end) of all 3 , Add them up compared to the 50 fter and then you know why most mills DON'T want short logs ;D ;D ;D ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

JDeere

The best advice I could give you is to take a chain saw safety course. I know you are probably very comfortable working with tools but a chain saw is very specialized and very dangerous. I worked in the woods for years and recently took a course and was amazed at how much I learned in 6 hours. Even cutting logs in a pile can be dangerous if you don't know what could kill you. Keep in mind that all the rules you will learn are the result of hard working guys who never planned on getting killed in the woods. Good Luck!
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

MFinity

I'd recommend finding an old hand - logger, faller, arborist, the older the better  ;) to help you out - have him come and fall trees for you, buck logs, or go watch him do his work - pick his brain, get the benefit of his experience. The safest approach is to know when you're getting out of your area of expertise and get help.

Ron Scott

Ditto! to taking a chainsaw operators course and being tutored by one experienced in chainsaw use. Also be sure that you invest in all the chainsaw personal protective  gear.
~Ron

seekingjoy

All great info. guys! I truely appreciate it
Alan

BARPINCHER

I'll Ditto a few others here about the chainsaw safety course.  I put myself and my guys thru Game Of Logging Levels 1-4 and highly endorse it.  Their national competition is in Ohio in September too.
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

woodmills1

!n 1986 I sold 6 cord of dry firewood produced using a saw a maul and a pickup.  In 1994 I was up to 100 cord with 2 saws a splitter and a dump.  In 95 I bought a woodmizer and stopped selling firewood, till this year.  see the post called update in sawmills and milling to see me now
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CX3

Welcome to the forum.  I joined for the same reasons as you.  So far it has been very helpful.

I started out cutting firewood with a saw and a maul.  I usually did around 50 cord a year by myself.  Now two of us do closer to 300 cord but we have a doozie of a splitter and nicer saws and a skidder to bring the poles to the work area.  Makes life simpler, but the point is a man can make some honest money with just a chainsaw.  If you want my advice jump into the firewood game, you already own all the machinery necessary to begin, and it will let you know if logging is in the future.  If you can love every minute of cutting wood, you will adore every second of loggin.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

timberjake

My best advice would be to make sure you don't get in so deep you HAVE to produce and move wood.    My dad and I have sold lots of firewood and quite a few burls.  Sawlogs and veneer is usually pretty easy to get rid of even in small quantities.
"Never hire a man who doesn't wear suspenders and smokes.  If he ain't lighting a cigarette he's pullin up his pants."

Phorester

I'll ditto the others on the chainsaw course for starters.  No matter what your experience level is, when you stick a chainsaw into a tree you have just entered one of the most dangerous professions in the USA.  Same dangers are there no matter what reason you're cutting a tree.

As far as a business, I'd suggest doing something similar to WOODMILLS1; starting with something simple to produce, like firewood, and building up over the years if you still have the interest.

Keep your eyes and ears open for ideas, network with businesses and individuals, develop contacts.

Thank You Sponsors!