iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 036 problem

Started by sawyerkirk, May 30, 2005, 08:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

My 036 has developed a problem, It runs fine for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then dies. Yes I have cleaned and chained everything, still can't find it. any other thoughts?

Buzz-sawyer

Does yours have the little brass screen in the carb?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

fishhuntcutwood

By changed everything, does that include a carb kit?  How old is the gas?  How easily does it start?  How does it die-does it flood out, does it stop cold, or does it try to stay running?  How does it idle while it's running-smoothly, high rpm, low rpm?  Has the saw been sitting for a while?  Can you keep it running if you add throttle?  Can you accellerate the saw, and if so, is it quick to accellerate, or is it sluggish?  Does it always happen, or only when the saw is cold or warm?

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

sawyerkirk

I forgot I posted a question here!! It was running fine one day, didn't use it for a few days, then it wouldn't start. I cleaned the plu, filter, fuel and cleaned it up, got it to start but won't stay running. it dosen't matter if I run it full htrottle or idle.

fishhuntcutwood

Does it have a decompression valve?  I don't know if all 036's had decomps or not.  If so, check it, it could be sticking open.   Something's had to of happened between it running, and it not running.  Something has changed or been broken.  If you changed all the common culprits, then I'd check that decomp valve.

When you start it, can you smell fuel, or is there fuel leaking out the back of the carb when it is startig or running?  Dumb question, but did you drop the saw?  If it's firing and running at all, I'd say your ignition/kill switch/coil/electronics are OK.

If it ain't your decomp valve, check the impulse line, it may have crud in there.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

sawyerkirk

It does have a decompression thingy on top. Never used it, but I'll check it. So far as it being dropped, that saw has been dropped, thrown, had an entire treee come off the stump and set quare on top of it (it was 2 days old at that time) but I don't know that it has been abused lately! There is no noticible fuel coming from the carb, but I do have an 029 that has started leaking fuel out the carb while running.

fishhuntcutwood

The problem you describe sounds to me like some individual thing has happened.  If it ran fine one day, and then not the next, something happened.  It's not a gradual condition.  You got some crud in your impulse line, a jet on your carb got clogged, the saw got tossed around, and something cracked and you've got ain airleak.  Check your decomp valve.  If you've never used it (you should) it may be gummed up and too stiff to disengage, and then it may have gotten pushed in inadvertantly, and is now stuck.  WD-40 would be my first course of action.  Something happened to make it run so differently after running fine a day or two earlier.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!