iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identify Tree,

Started by 123maxbars, September 11, 2011, 09:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I cut this tree today, was given to me and there are five more just like it. The owner thinks it is wild cherry, Here are a few pics I took tonight after I felled it. Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!!

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Definitely not a cherry.  The leaves are arranged opposite each other on the stem versus alternating as in cherry.  It also looks like the leaves are compound with three leaflets versus the simple leaf (single leaf blade per petiole) of cherry.

What you have appears to be box elder.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

Thanks I just did a search and that looks just like what I was given, never messed or heard of this type of wood before, Is it worth putting on the mill?
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Box elder is in the maple family.  The wood is a softer than soft maple, but it is still a hardwood.  Sometimes the heartwood has a red star burst pattern that is prized by the bowl turners.  It would be good for small boxes, chests, maybe wainscott paneling, etc.  Unless the heartwood has the red star burst pattern, the wood is not highly figured and does not have a prominent grain like oak or ash.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

Thanks for your help, they heartwood does have some red in it. I was given 6 of them, i will probably get around 6 seven foot 14in diam logs out of them. Going to put them on the mill and hopefully get luck with some nice red grains. 
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

SwampDonkey

Looks like boxelder to me to. It is also planted outside it's natural range and becomes invasive.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!