iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting time for a timberframe?

Started by Satamax, July 18, 2013, 02:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi guys.

Well, I was wondering how long it would take, on my own, to cut the frame in the following sketchup?

I mean, only the tall part, I can wait for the sawmill and crane shed.

Lap jointed at the tie beams.

I have a holz-her chain morticer with either the side plate or the spring base.

A makita 355mm saw, a bosch 235mm saw, and a hilti 165mm a prazi chain attachment on a makita saw. A chainsaw. Set of various chisels. A big makita router. Set of 2' drill bits. A  huge crane.  I would like to cut it out of larch.

I've been quoted about 15000€ delivered to the site, with the bolts etc. But no rafters. All dovetailed for the joists. Made of Douglas. And I would just have to assemble and raise.

What do you think guys?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Jim_Rogers

I haven't had time to open your sketchup file, and look at it.

But you need to make up a list of processes. That is how many things like mortises, housing, peg holes need to be done.

I'm not sure if I ever posted one here but they aren't hard to create. I use an excel spread sheet.
Once I have the list then I can keep track of the parts that are done and what is left to do. This is so that I don't start raising a frame and figure out we missed a mortise for a piece. (I was at a raising when that happened before) It isn't the easiest thing to do to cut a mortise into a standing bent.

After you have your list, you could do a time study exercise. That is time yourself, laying out and cutting a mortise. Then the housing, if you're using housings. Then boring the peg hole. These times maybe then used to calculate how long it will take to complete your frame. For example 350 processes to cut the frame, 3/4 of an hour per process = 262.5 man hours.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Piston

Good advice Jim, and that sounds like a good way to figure the time required.  I often wonder "how long" as well. 

Another good tool to use, since your already using sketchup on your model, is once you figure out how long it will take you for a joint, using Jim's method, you can go to the timber in your sketchup model, and using the "assign DoD tool" you can type in how long that timber will take you.  If you have many of the same timbers, a brace for example, and they are all the same component, it will assign the amount of time to every identical component.  From there, you can go to TF Rubies and click "DoD report", this will tell you how long all the timbers will take you that you have assigned a time to, as well as tell you which timbers have not been assigned. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Satamax

Thanks a lot Jim and Piston.

Well, I should say sirs! Cos, you're far better educated than me, timberframing wise.

I'll sleep on this a few days. I have stairs to finish and set up, and some digging for foundations and a slab to do, before I can raise my head again.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!