iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on ageing Rough cut Lumber, Hemlock and Pine Color& should I treat it?

Started by JOE.G, May 24, 2012, 09:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Hi my buddy has a Saw mill and I get what ever I need from him, I have built a Chicken Coop out of Rough Cut Hemlock and Pine, The Boards ( 10 Inch X 1 Inch ) are Pine and the Battons ( 2.5 Inch X 1 Inch ) are Hemlock, And I also put up a Horse Fence using the same stuff ( 6 Inch X 1 Inch ).

My Question is what color will this wood age to? It was real White when I put it up ( It was Fresh cut ) now the pine seems to be yellowing and the Hemlock is yellowing but also turning a touch gray.
I like the old brown barn look.

Also should I treat the wood with anything? How long will it last if I don't? Thanks a lot

Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bugdust

Hemlock will have a nice white color when freshly sawed but will continue to turn darker. If you prefer the dark redish brown that hemlock turns with time, do nothing, mother nature will accomplish it for you. As the pine turns, and you may find a color more suitable, then put a good grade of clear stain on. I recently stained white pine lap siding after waiting about 1½ years to turn. The finish product turned out better than I expected.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

JOE.G

So Pine turns Gray and Hemlock turns Brown? When they get to a color I like I can just put a clear stain or sealer type stuff on it?
STIHL 009 1998

Bogue Chitto

Bogue Chitto

beenthere

The barn finish looks way too uniform for me to believe it is just natural weathering. There would be different tones from weathering under the eaves for sure. Looks recently painted to be so uniform.

But, .......just going by the photo.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bogue Chitto

Bogue Chitto

The new looking tin on the roof is where hurricane Katrina ripped into her.   

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JOE.G

So why are most of the barns around here brown? Was the wood Different back then?
STIHL 009 1998

beenthere

Color is usually in the eyes of the beholder. What I think of as brown might look like something else to someone else.
Do you have pics of the "brown" that you like in old barns? We like pics. :)

Wood left without some sort of paint would likely turn grey and whitish over time, and different shades depending on the side (N,S,E,W) and different depending on being under the eaves somewhat protected.
Two basic reasons this happens.
The grey to blackish color is usually from mold, and the whitish is from the sun (UV) breaking down some of the wood binding materials and leaving only the cellulose behind (seen as fibrous material and referred to as 'weathering'). Bleaching the wood will remove the mold, and leave the silvery grey surface.

What I've seen over the years with barns is the end result of them having some red barn paint from years ago and it leaves a 'brown' looking surface. Not sure if it is the same 'brown' that you would like to get. The wood was not different back then, as long as the species remains the same.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JOE.G

I don't have any Pic's but it's brown but not uniform there are some black areas and lighter yellow areas, Some barns I see are a grayish color but most around here are the brown color. I really like that look.
STIHL 009 1998

WDH

In the deep humid and hot South, raw wood weathers like Beenthere described.  It is only brown if is painted or stained.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

The silvery gray of weathered wood is actually pretty attractive to some folks, including me.

I don't know of any wood that will weather to a brown color if left unfinished.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

JOE.G

STIHL 009 1998

Tree Feller

Yes, every 3-5 years to maintain the color. The good news is that unlike paint, you don't have any flaking to scrape off.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!