iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weeds from the back yard..... Round 2: MORE from the woodlot this time.

Started by SwampDonkey, June 30, 2007, 08:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

SwampDonkey

No guesses as to it's identification?  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

Ok, let's start the ball rolling.  It's definately a member of the Caryophyllaceae (pink / campion / stitchwort) family. More specifically, I'm going to be brave and stick my neck out and guess, is it a Silene vulgaris??
Sense is not common

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Same genus Timburr, but it's a Bladder Campion S. cucubalus  ;)

SwampDonkey

Plant # 2

What's this one? I have a local common name, but I don't know the latin. Maybe we can figure it out. It grows in thick duff on wetlands that firm up in summer months. Cursed seeds cling to your clothes.

metalspinner

SD,
You sure have some pretty weeds up there.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Plant # 3

There are a couple common names that I know for this one.

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

SwampDonkey

Plant # 4

Another wetland flower

SwampDonkey

Plant # 5

Flower is pea-like, found on disturbed ground like abandoned log landings.

Timburr

SwampDonkey, what you just said was what I first thought, so...

Plant # 1, Silene cucubalus.

# 2, Geum rivale.  We call it Water Avens, but I don't suppose you do!

# 3, family Asteraceae.  Possibly a Hieracium or a Crepis or not.  Hawkweed or Hawk's Beard??

# 4.  A weed, which seems to be the general concensus here.  Although I do have an incline.

# 5.  Looks suspiciously like a Bird's Foot Trefoil (Lotus corniculatus).

Edit note; Silene cucubalus and S.vulgaris are the same plant. We are both correct!
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

#1 yes, we used to pinch the end of the bladder and remove it from the plant, then make a popping noise when poked against something solid. What kids will do.  ;D

#2 yes, we call it begger's tic here. The seeds (tics) attach to your clothes and probably bad in sheep's wool. Thanks for the latin name. It wasn't in Audubon's, although one website said it was and gives a plate photo number, but it isn't it. Maybe there is a more up to date guidebook.

#3 yes, we call it devil's paint brush locally.

#5 yes, I had to give it a second glance. It is very much like another plant, even the leaves. Non native here.

Any guesses on # 4? ;D

Jeff

Here is an example of number 5 from my property.  :)

Jeff

And also an example of 3.  Swamp, it looks like we have a lot of the same type of plants.  :)

SwampDonkey

Got any open meadow on some old harvested cedar ground? Not with heavy grasses, but low herb? You'll probably find those 'water avens' (beggars tics). The old seed heads might be around with seeds to catch into your clothes. The stems are fine like wire and they are 2 or 3 feet high. I never new such a cursed plant could have such nice colorful flowers. Plant #2.

Jeff

It looks familiar. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Is this perhaps your number 4?

sprucebunny

#3 We call it Indian paint brush . It has both seeds AND runners.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Jeff, by the looks of the basal leaves on yours, it looks like a buttercup. Mine has pointed leaves at tip and base, and are linear. It grows in wetland meadows with number 2. You might also find dwarf raspberry and currants.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: sprucebunny on July 01, 2007, 06:20:43 PM
#3 We call it Indian paint brush . It has both seeds AND runners.

There is a shallow spot on my lawn overlaying some shale and it's mostly this plant and some wild strawberries.

Reminds me, I saw some wild strawberry out in the woods as big as the end of your pinky finger. I like them, but since I had a mixing bowl full of cultivated ones and my father is picking them in his garden daily, I never picked any. The deer flies didn't keep me moving along either, or nothing.  ::) ;D

SwampDonkey

Round # 2 : Woodland Flowers

Plant #1

This is often dried and used in flower arrangements. It has a sweet smell when crushed.

Plant #2

Plant #3

SwampDonkey

Plant #4

Plant #5

Don't know this one, but Jacob's ladder might be a clue.

Plant #6

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!