iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If this is Poison Ivy....It's Huge

Started by tim1234, July 24, 2007, 08:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

Ive come across several big trees behind my house.  I can't tell if these trees are poison ivy or not.  I know PI can be a vine, bush or tree, but if this stuff is PI it's the biggest I've ever seen.

This is a pic of a vine of PI

I was cleaning up some dead wood from a neighbors yard and walked into this tree.  I stayed away but tell me what you think.

When the leaves are young they have 3 leaves.  The same tree seams to have branches with 5 leaves.

Here is a pic of the tree.

I'd sure like to know for sure as there are a lot of these trees from 2" to 6" in diameter all through the woods behind my house.

Thanks for the help.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

tim1234

BTW,

If anyone gets poison ivy the only known cure is a product called zanfel.  zanfel  Check out the website.  This stuff is great.  It works even after the rash appears.  It chemically breaks the bond of the urishiol oil with the skin which causes the immune reaction.  The itch stops immediately 8)  And the little scrubbies in the paste feels sooooo good. ;D ;D ;D 8) :)

I tried it after I spent 4 days in the hospital getting IV antibiotics due to a skin infection from a severe exposure to PI.  The stuff aint cheap but it is worth every penny.

Tim

Furby

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riles

Yup, Acer negundo, boxelder. The defining characteristic of poison ivy, other than the three leaflets, is a hairy vine.

I just have to walk into the woods and I break out on the underside of my forearms. I've had a low grade case for a month now. Zanfel doesn't work for me, but Tecnu has never failed to prevent the rash if I put it on before hand.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SwampDonkey

We have poison ivy, but it's rare. And I think it's only along the river valley. I've been in a lot of woods on all kinds of sites and have never found it or got stung by it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GW

If Poison Ivy leaves were dollar bills I'd be wealthy. :(

WDH

And your hip pocket would be itchy :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GW

Actually I have the itch, but not the scratch. :)

tim1234

Thanks alot.  I'm glad to know it is box elder and not PI.  

I hate the stuff (PI not box elder!!).  But the zanfel works great for me and everyone I lent it to.  I bought the jar direct from zanfel for like $50 6 years ago and I still have half left even letting a bunch of people use it as well.

This spring I was working in the garden and my gloves had some holes in the finger tips.

Then I had to go use the bathroom.

Hope this isn't to racy for the forum ;D.

A few days later......  :o

All I can say is I'm glad I had the zanfel or I would have been miserable.

Tim

GW

tim1234, I had a similar mishap as a young lad. I wore only a towel for about a week and I walked much like John Wayne. :'(

tim1234

They let you go to school like that?? :D

Tim

GW

WDH

The problem as I see it is with the gloves.  Not a good bathroom device.......that is why they make toilet paper :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tim1234

That brings another story to mind.  A few friends on a farm in owosso, MI were working in the field and nature called.   They took cover in a stand of trees....no toilet paper.  Hey let's use these leaves!

All I can say is they were not happy campers after that.

Tim

thurlow

Anyone who was raised on a farm can probably relate........in the cotton field most especially.  Just had to be CAREFUL what plant you got the leaf from.

Reminds me of an unrelated story from my Dad............he was a teenager; bunch of 'em had hired out to pick cotton.  Don't remember, probably 20 folks or more.  One girl was slow; always behind/at the back of the field.  Walked/drug her sack over a yellow jacket nest.  They swarmed her/under her clothes/in her hair.  She immediately started removing her clothing................no one would have known what was happening or seen anything because she was behind everybody, except she starting screaming at the top of her lungs..........."DON'T LOOK, DON'T LOOK".  Yeah, right, nobody looked.   ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Trax

It is a box elder but in that first pic it sure looks like P.I. vine growing on it. Zanfel is not a cure, it will just get the oil off your skin if you know you were in it. I been using  Tech Nu Oak & Ivy   for 17 years or so. Used to be the only place you could get it was Bailey's now it available in the local drug store

jokers

Quote from: Riles on July 24, 2007, 09:05:21 PM
Yup, Acer negundo, boxelder. The defining characteristic of poison ivy, other than the three leaflets, is a hairy vine.
Three leaves, one larger than the other two, off center vein, leaves can be smooth or notched edge and range from red to green in color. The "hairy vine" can have small elongated buds that resemble the petals of a flower on really large vines. I`ll see if I can get some pictures sometime soon.

jokers

Quote from: Trax on August 23, 2007, 01:59:43 PM
It is a box elder but in that first pic it sure looks like P.I. vine growing on it.
Agreed!

crtreedude

I have been very fortunate with my genes. I am barely allergic to poison ivy (and bee stings don't bother me either) - there was only once that I ended up with a case. My brother and I (more than 30 years ago) were sawing firewood and got into trees covered with poison ivy. Yep, got a case, but really not as bad as it should have been when you are covered with PI sawdust...  :o

Under normal circumstances I can weed the stuff out by hand as long as I wash up afterwards without any reaction - but my wife is not in the same category. So, I am careful to wear things that can be just dropped in soapy water and washed by me - and I go straight to the showers.

Not an issue down here - I have yet to find any.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Furby

Quote from: jokers on September 07, 2007, 10:12:12 AM
It is a box elder but in that first pic it sure looks like P.I. vine growing on it.
Agreed!

Reread the line above the first pic fellows. ;)

Brian Beauchamp

Actually, I think the first pic IS poison ivy, but the rest is boxelder for sure.

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: Furby on September 08, 2007, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: jokers on September 07, 2007, 10:12:12 AM
Agreed!

Reread the line above the first pic fellows. ;)

::):) :) ;D ;D ::)

SwampDonkey

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 20, 2007, 03:02:35 PM
Hard weekend?  ;)

I got up early this morning to go hunting after staying up late working...so yeah. :)

Thank You Sponsors!