iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

identify trees with IPhone?

Started by proteus, April 28, 2015, 10:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if there is a good APP out there for identifying basic species of trees?
Greg

Jeff

One right off hand I know of is the Virginia tech Tree I.D. app. I know it is available for android. Not sure about Iphone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Dave Shepard

Just downloaded vtree. Looks interesting.

Does anyone know if you can move an app from one phone to another? I bought the deluxe sawlog calc and don't want to pay for it again.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

If it is an android you can. Your google play account keeps track of your apps.

clearcut

On the iPhone, purchases are linked to your iTunes account. If you sign on with the same AppleID then you can re-download the app to a new phone or other device. You can also have the same app on separate devices, say an iPad and iPhone, as long as you are using the same AppleID on both.

As to apps, VTree is good. There is also the free Leafsnap, and the Audubon Guides (paid).
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Dave Shepard

Thanks Jeff. If I can't figure it out, I'll go to the AT&T store and have them show me. The last phone switch, all my apps made it to the new phone. Not this time. I don't have many that I download. I use the scientific calculator the most.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

My tree ID app is in my head  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on April 28, 2015, 08:56:59 PM
My tree ID app is in my head  :).

Danny, we need to get that info out of your head and into a phone app.

I remember reading about a new Android tree ID app that would use your camera phone to take a photo of a leaf and PRESTO! Here's your tree. It was to be released next August...

That was three years ago.   ::)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Will the camera be able to tell if the underside of the leaf mid-rib is tomentose?   :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

WmFritz

OK Danny... I found it. Looks like its not available to Android os.

Download it to your iPhone and rate it for us.  ;D

http://leafsnap.com/
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

OneWithWood

I have leafsnap on my iPhone.  I used it a couple of times.  You need a white background to get a good pic of the leaf in question and that can be problematic in the woods.  When you do get a good pic you get a number of suggestions of similar shaped leaves. 
I have a couple other apps for my iPhone that I use a lot more.
TreeID is very useful.
Tree Doctor is a good start to identifying tree issues
50 Trees of Indiana has good information on trees found in the north central region
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

caveman

Tomentose...I'm a little fuzzy on that one.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!