iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

395 XP not starting

Started by backwoods sawyer, October 03, 2014, 01:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

I am running a long bar on this saw and after ripping a log in half I shut it down I just can't get it to fire up again, Been noticing that it is hard starting after it gets warmed up.
When it comes to chainsaws I have not spent much time working on them, hoping it is something simple.

I will add that I am at low elivation and the saw came from Ohio if that helps.

Good strong saw but may be running a little hot on the high end as well.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

JohnG28

Might want to pull off the muffler and have a look at the piston and cylinder. If it was running lean/hot could have done some damage internally with a long cut. Could just need the carb tuned as well but it will be futile if the engine is cooked,  so that's a good starting place.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Backwoods check to see if your carb mounting bolts are loose, may be running  lean causing heat and hard  starting.
Last winter I was milling with my 395 with a 36" Alaskan mill  on 16 ft spruce and the carb bolts loosened up.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Southside

The heat is a sign of running too lean for sure and may have done damage.  Another possible issue could be the fuel line that goes from the tank to the carb, mine had a slight split in it, probably from ethanol, and would act similar to what you describe.  In my case the damage had been done as a result unfortunately. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

backwoods sawyer

Pulled the muffler all looks good there.

carb mounts are tight, have not changed the fuel line yet.

When cold the saw fires right up runs good, shut it down for a bit and it gets real hard to start.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bert

It could be the plug. Ive had plugs short out due out due to hairline cracks when the ceramic expands with heat.
Saw you tomorrow!

longtime lurker

Mine do the same. I don't do a lot of long ripping cuts but when production felling after a couple tanks of fuel they start to get hot and then start to stall out at idle, particularly when rolled onto their side to start a cut. Checked everything, cleaned everything, replaced plugs, played with mixture screws and the fuel mix etc etc to no avail.

Things I've found along the way:
Use a good quality 2 stroke oil not a cheap one.
Stay away from ethanol blends, but don't use anything better then 95 octane either.
Stop and have a cigarette and a drink of water when it gets hot and it will cool down in about 5 minutes and be right for another run.

This mind you is in the tropics... the hotter the ambient temp the less time before it heats up again. If I need really high production I cart a second saw around on the skidder and alternate them... otherwise I figure if it's that hot the saws are playing up then its that hot I should be taking frequent breaks too.
The only thing I can say is that it gives me less overheating problems under the same conditions then my MS660 did.

I think the issue is about all the emissions restrictions - the newer generation of saws run hotter to help them run cleaner. At the same time the size/weight of the package has dropped and there is less metal to absorb the heat. Never had these problems running the old 076's... they never overheated, but I'm just not that tough anymore. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

clww

Coil may be beginning to go bad.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

Seals also. Although this probably would have done the saw in during that rip cut, but still possible and worth checking if the problem isn't aparent.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Jhenderson

X'2 on the plug. Don't overlook the basics.

celliott

MAYBE it could be the tank vent  ???
Next time it won't start, crack the gas cap, see if there's a suction sound.
Other than that' I'd lean towards the coil also.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

backwoods sawyer

any idea as to what the gap for the coil should be?

celliott

I (and others) have always just used a business card to set the air gap. I don't know what the actual specs are, but business card works.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

backwoods sawyer

I got it set at 2 cards thick now and starts fine cold  ::) will reset it.
New plug and fuel line,will blow out the vent and this weekend I have two table slabs to rip from a cedar butt log as a test.

Thanks guys anything else I should check?

CTYank

I've had that happen from vapor-lock, where the light-ends added into winter-blend gas boiled out of solution in the diaphragm chamber. That was on an unusually hot day; in your case those long hot rips can get the temps up on their own.
Summer-blend gas, and no problem.  :snowball:
Waiting to hear what you found to be the source of the prob.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

backwoods sawyer

Gave the saw a good work out ripping a pair of table tops out of a 48" cedar log 10'. 

First thing I found was the new chain I had picked up a couple jobs back was tight in the bar making the motor work hard and heating the bar up. Put the old chain on and solved that issue.

No problems starting even after cuts so while fueling up I put the old plug back in and after making a cut It would not start again, swapped plugs again and fired right back up.

Thanks everyone       
I enjoy running this saw but it sure gives you a work out ;D

HolmenTree

Backwoods, just of interest what brand of plug are you using and from the plug's package what country of origin?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!