iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms391 opinions

Started by ohiowoodchuck, October 22, 2014, 09:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I'm thinking of purchasing a ms391 for a firewood saw. What's your guys thoughts?  I know there is other brands out there, but the stihl dealer is 5 minutes from my house. I'm looking for a saw between my 3120xp and my ms290.
Education is the best defense against the media.

kenskip1

I have run one and not really that impressed with it. It has plenty of power but the weight is well above what it should be. It also drinks gas like it is going out of style.Bulky would sum it up.How about a 291, or even a 311? Do you really require this much saw? JMHO. Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

SawTroll

A large and heavy hunk of plastic - built like a "homeowner" saw, regardless what Stihl classify it as.
Information collector.

ohiowoodchuck

I can step into the ms362 for another 100.00. I'm not sure I'm fond of the m Tronic carb. I know it works, but the idea of a computer on my saw stinks. 

msjdgman

I`ve had my 391 for about a year, and while I`ve only cut a few cords, I like it so far.  A friend has had one for about 3 years now and he likes his.  Is it a pro grade saw?  No...we all know that.  But I am pleased with mine so far.  And I actually think it`s pretty easy on fuel.
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

ohiowoodchuck

I used one that a buddy has with a 25" bar and it cut good I thought. I still can't make up my mind. Right now I'd like a 65cc saw for felling trees for firewood and cutting to length for my woodboiler. Later on I'll need a saw for thinning trees and some timber harvesting on my farm. That's why I'm up in the air. Hoping you guys could lean me one way.

celliott

If you're looking for a saw between an MS290 and a 3120 then you have ALOT of options  :D
362 would be a good choice, I think you can get them with standard carbs?
Or what about a 70cc saw, if Stihl is your flavor of choice, then a 441 or a 461? I believe, both can be had with standard carbs but I am not positive on that.

3120 is alot of saw! What do you use that for?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ohiowoodchuck

I use my 3120 for cutting up a lot of large fallen trees that the wind storm got here in ohio a few years ago. I believe I've cut 10-12 up with it. I fell a large rotten maple with it back in the summer for a friend. I know a smaller saw would work but I went with a buddy to pick up a corn picker from a retiring farmer and I seen it in the corner. He made me a heck of a deal on it.

Andyshine77

You can pick up a CS590 for $399.00 It's a better built, stronger saw than the 391. Saws like the 391 sell because of the name on it, nothing more.

Andre.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Andyshine77 on October 23, 2014, 02:54:04 PM
You can pick up a CS590 for $399.00 It's a better built, stronger saw than the 391. Saws like the 391 sell because of the name on it, nothing more.
I understand and respect your decision. My reason is the stihl dealer is 3-5 minutes from my house. The closes other dealer is 30 min.

JohnG28

Really,  a 59cc Echo had more power than a 64cc Stihl? I doubt it. The Stihl may be a little heavy for its size. We get it, you like the 590....
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Quote from: JohnG28 on October 23, 2014, 10:07:57 PM

Really,  a 59cc Echo had more power than a 64cc Stihl? I doubt it. The Stihl may be a little heavy for its size. We get it, you like the 590....

The 590 will run with ported 361, 362's So yes I'd say it will run with a low end 64cc Stihl and then some.

Take into consideration at this point in my life, I've ran nearly every modern saw made, and a large portion of older saws ever made. The Echo CS590 is a the real deal, end of story. The homeowner Stihl saws are throwaway consumer products.
Andre.

HolmenTree

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on October 22, 2014, 09:24:04 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a ms391 for a firewood saw. What's your guys thoughts?  I know there is other brands out there, but the stihl dealer is 5 minutes from my house. I'm looking for a saw between my 3120xp and my ms290.
ohiowoodchuck with that 3120XP you have alot of real estate on your hands and sounds like you don't need that much h.p. for what you cut.
Value wise if that 3120 is in good condition it could fetch enough to pay or trade for a good used Stihl 361 and 460 combo. This way you have all Stihl to do business with your dealer and forget about the Husky.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ohiowoodchuck

I could trade in the 3120xp, it's in good shape. It's not as handy as a pocket on a shirt, but I believe I will hang on to it. I want to mill out some large oak for coffee tables in my cabin. It does have it's purpose plus I have hardly anything in it.

Compensation

I have a 390 and it isn't a bad saw. It weighs less than the rounds it cuts so weight doesn't bother me. The 361 is a saw right up your alley. But if you can only swing for a 391 don't be afraid to buy it. I ran mine over with a loaded 3/4 ton hours after I bought it. Still works great with 0 quirks.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

ohiowoodchuck

I believe I'll replace my 290 with a new 391. Sell my 290 and put it toward a used 460 or 046.

JohnG28

Sounds like a good plan.  Pictures of new saws are always welcome!  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Hitchcock Woods

We run our 6 year old ms 391 with a 20'' bar a lot for felling and bucking.  It is a pretty good saw but if i had to pick between that and our 10 year old 372 xp, i'll take the 372 xp all day.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

brettl

Hello Ohio. I have the 441 and have had the 290 and 391. The 290 and 391 are good saws, BUT, the 441and 461 are only a half pound heavier and 1hp to 1.5hp more powerful than the 391.  So your thought to sell the 290 for money towards a 441 or 461 is a good one in my opinion. Any of these saws will be noticeably more powerful, better built, and only slightly heavier than the 391. That's why I sold my 391.

What it boils down to is why invest in the 391 AND the 441, 460 or 461 when all of the last 3 are noticeabley more powerful, only .5 pound heavier, and better designed with some better materials? The 362 is a Pro saw to and is a pound lighter with the same power as the 391.

drobertson

Had a 390, great saw, did drink the fuel. Stolen,, Replaced with the 460 really liked this one, stolen as well.
replaced with the 362, happy with this one, will say the 311 is a dandy firewood saw, it will run the 20" bar just fine. easy to start as is the 362, and the fuel consumption normal.  Nice to have two running saws,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ohiowoodchuck

I'd like to pick up a new 441 or 461 right now, but with my truck needing new tires, a wheel bearing starting to go out and the starter wearing out. I believe all i can spring for is the 391. The 290 is just a slow at cutting firewood and the 3120 is just to much to pack around. However it made short work of a 24'' redoak this weekend. I have been searching used saws a lot here latley. Maybe I don't know my price but everybody wants new price for half priced saws.

7sleeper

I believe you are making a mistake. If you intend to sell or trade in your 290 you will have more than sufficient funds for a 362! Although I agree with Andyshine that leaving out the 590 is a big mistake! Almost same power, less weight and way less money sounds like a winner to me! To be honest I find Stihl just way to expensive for what they offer in the home owner and farmer grade saws! For me an alternativ would be the very often overlooked husqvarna 555 or it's jonsered counterpart. But the stihl 391 isn't even on my radar and I completely agree with sawtroll on this one! :lol:

ohiowoodchuck

Why would i drive a hour to buy a saw, when the stihl dealer is right in town. I think it's kinda crappy to buy another brand saw and take it in to him to work on especially after he has given me some great prices on a saw. Stihl might be overated but everyone I know who cuts timber for a living swears by them. I've heard more positives than negatives on the ms391.

Andyshine77

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on October 28, 2014, 02:23:23 PM
Why would i drive a hour to buy a saw, when the stihl dealer is right in town. I think it's kinda crappy to buy another brand saw and take it in to him to work on especially after he has given me some great prices on a saw. Stihl might be overated but everyone I know who cuts timber for a living swears by them. I've heard more positives than negatives on the ms391.

What were all trying to say is, people who cut timber don't use 391's. Stihl saws are not at all overrated. The problem is they sell the homeowner products " that contain mostly lower grade Asian components" at a premium.

Now when it comes to your dealer, remember this. They won't sell you anything without making a profit, that's what a business does. It's not like your part of his family, they will do what's best for them, why wouldn't you do the same for yourself. I own may different brands including including Stihl, my dealer knows that and doesn't care, he still makes money selling parts.
Andre.

ohiowoodchuck

The local echo dealer is 35 minutes from me, they have no service department. So if I buy a cs590 and it burns up because it's already lean from the factory, how am I suppose to get it worked on? How long am I suppose to wait on repair work? How can echo sell a USA made saw for 200 less than a 391? I doubt all American parts either. The only think made in America anymore is babies.

Thank You Sponsors!