iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free hand sharpening.... What do you think?

Started by Dieseltwitch, June 23, 2016, 11:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieseltwitch

So because Im felling like crazy... 100 to 150 trees a day (6" - 24") I end up sharpening my saw a lot. Every time i put fuel in it I also add oil (duh) touch up the cutters, grease the bar needle bearing and adjust the chain, and check the air filter.

I needed a faster way to sharpen my saw in the field. spending 5-10 min hand filing was going to cut it. I found that i can actually do a pretty good job with a battery powered dremel like tool I carry in my Gator 6x4. And it takes me less than a min to put a near perfect cut on. Every few times I check my depth gauges. But only end up filing those 2 or 3 times the life of a chain.

Heres the final result what do you? (Those aren't burrs, thats just oil/dust)

Ada Shaker

Another way of doing it is to carry spare already sharpened chains. I've heard its quicker to replace the chain than to sharpen it on site. You take all the dull chains at the end of the day back home and sharpen them then, rather than on the field, they say it's easier too. The only down side is you need plenty of spare chains. On the upside all your chains and sprocket wear evenly, so I've heard, which is a bonus. Something to consider if your doing a huge amount of cutting and want to maximise your days daylight hours.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Dieseltwitch

Tomorrow I'll time the two different ways. I also would need to carry about 6 chains...

old guy

motohed

The sharpening looks good , but it looks like the rakers need to be cut down . I would get a depth guage and file them . The saw will cut much better if you do .

old guy

Al_Smith

First off what or why are you cutting 150 trees a day for ?Pulp,logs ,firewood ?

A Dremel in my opinion is a handy thing for repairing a damaged tooth .Some allude all cutters must be the same length,not so .A file if it isn't real dull takes about 5 minutes .However if you are happy with it that's all that counts .Dremel away .

danbuendgen

Quote from: Dieseltwitch on June 23, 2016, 11:59:12 PM
So because Im felling like crazy... 100 to 150 trees a day (6" - 24") I end up sharpening my saw a lot. Every time i put fuel in it I also add oil (duh) touch up the cutters, grease the bar needle bearing and adjust the chain, and check the air filter.

100-150 per day? Are you limbing and bucking all that too? And how many hours are you putting in per day??? I hope they pay you well!

That tooth looks wicked sharp!

Every tank of fuel you file, grease the bar tip, adjust the chain and check the air filter? You are wicked into saw maintenance!!!

I sharpen when needed. Once or twice a day in hardwood, unless I cut into something very dirty. Adjust the chain when it gets loose. I have never greased a bar tip ever, they tend to last a very long time with just oil. I always felt that the instant that you rev that saw up that grease is history. I check the air filter once a day at most. I hit it with brake clean at the end of the day. Good job with the saw maintenance, just seems a bit over kill to me.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Gearbox

I use a grandberg I think and I sharpen every fill .I will race anyone who thinks they can change a chain faster than I can touch one up . I carry a motorcycle battery in my saw box with my tools .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

Some allude to 150 trees a day .In an 8 hour day that is around 18-20 per hour .That is around 3 minutes per tree .It would take me more time than that just to walk from tree to tree . ;D

motohed

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 25, 2016, 10:29:24 PM
Some allude to 150 trees a day .In an 8 hour day that is around 18-20 per hour .That is around 3 minutes per tree .It would take me more time than that just to walk from tree to tree . ;D

I can remember back in the day , in the North Maine woods , we would work from day light till dark felling . The haulers and machine operators would be there , before we got there and well into the night after we left . In the clear cuts , it was'nt uncommon to cut 150 trees in a day . The hard part was getting an area cleared , to be able to fell the trees , as they were so close together . Yes it was more than 8 hours most of time . Most trees were 8 to 10 inches . I guess , I should have said Northern Maine , not the North Maine woods as a whole .

danbuendgen

Oh, I know its possible to cut 100 trees per day. I have done it! 150 seems a big stretch... unless you have the energy to work from dawn till dusk. Plus if you have to lop brush, that takes a long time...
My skidder mechanic (retired logger) said to me "if you cant cut and limb 100 trees per day, you may as well find something else to do for work".
I spent half the day chopping and the other half running equipment. So for me 100 trees per day is out of the question.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

4x4American

Fast forward to 3:27...I'm willing to bet that she can cut 200 trees in a faller's day (6hrs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ULNxbDDdY
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dieseltwitch

We put in 10-11 hour days. No bucking or liming.  Im not sure exactly what to call it. Aggressive forest thinning might be the best thing to call it. I fall it and then a mini excavator stacks them for skidding to one of 25 piles. later in the year we will then grind them all up and respreed the grinds along the skidding paths, old roads. On top of that we are running a Bobcat T770 with a masurator on it to grind up old stuff, stumps, large sticks. The forest we are working on is kind of experimental. to see how much it will take to get the trees back to a healthy state. pith pine and spuse. 100-150' trees only have 4' root balls. we've lost 10 acres at once to a single wind storm because this forest is super over grown. Most of what I go after is dead stand or extremely unhealthy. 

15 trees and hour is what I average. one tree every 5 min +/-.

We have 1,900 acres todo. were at 10,000-11,000'

Dieseltwitch

Quote from: motohed on June 25, 2016, 11:06:40 AM
The sharpening looks good , but it looks like the rakers need to be cut down . I would get a depth guage and file them . The saw will cut much better if you do .

So this is something i've been struggling with. I have an .030 depth gauge setter. and it seams like i hardly have to file it down until it gets about half way through the tooth before i notice the filing actually doing any thing. I've taken to filing my gauges during lunch and at the start of each day. the photos are really of a brand new chain i ran one tank of gas on.

old guy

Sounds like you have it well in hand, carry on.

Thank You Sponsors!