iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Towing

Started by craigc90, October 30, 2003, 05:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

Saturday I am going to move my Dads mill to my house. I have moved this mill befor and it has no tail lights and no plates. The guy he bought the mill off of said you dont need plates on a tool you tow behind your vihicle unless its over a certain length. Does anyone know the laws pertaining to this in Ohio.

Bibbyman

I would say the Ohio DMV would know...  But then,  we've asked the same kind of questions of our Missouri DMV and get a confusing look.  

Here,  if it's a piece of farm equipment,  it don't need lights or plates.  If it's a trailer,   then it needs lights and plates.  I've Missouri Wood-Mizers tagged and others without a tag.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

Every thing I tow gets plates and a liscence, of course thats after the first few times. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

EZ

In Ohio you can tow it with out a tag on it, but you have to have a slow moving veical sign on it. You can't go over 45 mph, you can't take it on a 4 lane highway, and you can't take it beyond 20 miles of the owners place. O-ya I forgot one small thing, you can't make a profit off of it. :-/
EZ

Kevin

We need lights but not plates on a portable mill.
Put a board on the bed and it becomes a trailer and requires plates.

LSUNo1

Here in La. we dont need plates. But I'd put lights, required or not unless this is a one time move.

Kevin_H.

I have never plated my WM and I have hauled it all over the place. I think that most of the time the police have no idea what it is and would rather not take the time to figure it out.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

craigc90

Thanks for all the good info from everyone. I thought you might know the answer EZ. As of Saturday I will be the owner and I dont plan on moving it from my Farm very often. As far as Uncle Sam knows it will never make profit either. I hope to get to slice up a log or two this weekend since the weather is going to be so nice.I have enough plans for it myself. I doubt I will have time for any custom sawing in the near future.

ADfields

Unless it's a "farm implement" you need lights to move in on a road system that took Federal money to build or keep up.   You must have markers on all 4 corners if it's over 6 foot long and in the center if over 30 foot.   I think the 30 foot includes truck & trailer but not sure on that.   If you have a farm and want to call it a farm implement you can replace the lights with slow moving triangle and red flags but the same placement will apply. :-/

You may also want to talk with your insurance people before you get hit and find you have none when towing a farm implement or work equipment.   Up hear in Alaska a snowplow for your own use is fine on your truck but add a sand box and you are not insured without a rider for it! :P
Andy

EZ

If you put lights on it, you have to put plates on it.
EZ

ADfields

So your saying that in Ohio farm tractors need plates on them to "road" them from one field to the next?   Most tractors have all the lights on them that cars do now days.
Andy

Oregon_Sawyer

In five years moving my mill all over Oregon and when I picked it up in Washington I have never had a license plate on my WM.

I make sure the lights work.  The mill folded up is hard to tell what it is.  My mill business is reported on my Farm Tax Return so it is easy to call my mill a piece of farm equipment.

I have towed my mill on the freeway at 70mph.  No problem.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

EZ

Its like Kevin said, most police dont really know to much about this, I check it all out before I put my mill on the road. Last year I got pulled over by the State Man, nothing wrong doing he just wanted to check me out. He ask me to step out of the truck and we walk back to the mill. He said, is this a log cutter, I said yes, a band mill. He had an oak tree that he wanted milled so I gave him my card and he called the next day. My wife said This could only happen to you. ;D
EZ

woodmills1

I was gonna mention the insurance thing too,  at the very least make sure your company knows you tow it.  I have a policy just for the mill for liability and it is very reasonable.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

VA-Sawyer

When I brought my mill home to Williamsburg, VA from Indy this week, I went to the Indiana DMV and got a temporary tag so I could tow it home. Was cheap and easy. The tag is just a slip of paper for the "glovebox".  I drove about 600 miles on Interstate Highways with no problems. It towed pretty nice behind my Blazer except when going up steep hills. On some of the hills, it felt like I was hitched to a "sled" from a Tractor Pull !!!!  Gas mileage dropped from normal 18 mpg to around 13 mpg in West Virginia hills.
Got passed by about a dozen cops during the trip. None seemed to care about me not having a plate on the saw/trailer. I got the temp tags more for legal peace of mind than anything else.

craigc90

I brought the mill home Saturday. about 20 miles not one car behind me all the way home I was relieved. The mill is in my front yard hitch unbolted and leved up with some red oak on the table.Taking a log and opening it up to see whats inside is the neatest thing. I only had time to cut up 1 small red oak. I have the hardest time cutting a red oak to build a sawmill shed. I end up saying this should be used for cabinet work.  Once you see the grain you hate to waste it on rafters.

Thank You Sponsors!