iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on the use of a Logrite Cant Hook

Started by Furu, February 17, 2013, 03:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furu

I was going to put this in the current post on the current offered deal on purchasing slightly used Logrite Cant Hooks but decided to post here.

I got two scratch and dents cant hooks back the end of November.  Tammy was great to work with and she told me what was "wrong" with the units that I was getting. As you can see the one had the yoke installed upside down when it was welded and thus they had to drill two new holes for the pins to work properly.

I thought Tammy told me the second one had the same fault but it does not and I have never figured out what made it a S&D. Bottom line I have been very happy with the purchase and as everyone here know there is no better product of this nature than Logrite's.  Far superior to my previous cant hook.

Here is my problem/question.  The standard series 60" says it is good for logs from 10-36" diameter.  I have found that up to 22" I just slap it on and use it no problems.  At 24" I can work with it a bit and get it to bite but it really just wants to slip with no bite in the log.  Above 24" it is mostly impossible to get to to bite and hold.  This is on Doug Fir, Hemlock and Western Red cedar.  While diagnosing a problem on the internet is chancy at best I thought I would ask to see if anyone had input.

Thanks

Dave Shepard

I have a 60" and found that on the bigger logs I had to be careful that I got a good bite. It would be very hard to have a hook that performed flawlessly on the entire range of logs one might encounter. I thought about getting another 60"  with a hook off of an Arky Super Stick, which is larger than the 60", however I started running a hydraulic mill and never thought of it again.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lumberjack48

You answered your own question, you can trust it wood up to 22 inches, anything bigger be careful.

It looks awfully poor made, compared to want we used 40 years ago.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

fishpharmer

The following video has not been endorsed logrite or customsawyer.  The people shown are not paid professionals. :)   I think the tools are peaveys not cant hooks, it may make a difference.  The best technique seems to be getting a good "bite" with the hook.  I personally think my Logrite canthook is a required sawmill tool, its great! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z35dmxKhAgI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thenorthman

Abuse it a little... either jam it into it so the hook sets or give it a little kick.  These type of tools are meant to be beat on a little bit, once the hook has a little bit of a bite it should just keep digging in, the harder you lean on it the harder it bites.

Loading tongs are more or less the same shape, to get them to bite sometimes a guy had to whack em with a hammer...
well that didn't work

beenthere

Thickness of western species bark may lead to some of that.

lumberjack
QuoteIt looks awfully poor made, compared to want we used 40 years ago.

It is unfortunate that you can't give one of the logrite's a try, as I think you'd find them some superior to the 'old' ones.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Quote from: lumberjack48 on February 17, 2013, 03:51:45 PM
You answered your own question, you can trust it wood up to 22 inches, anything bigger be careful.

It looks awfully poor made, compared to want we used 40 years ago.

I'd like to see what you used 40 years ago. If you are talking about the typical metal type with the socketed wooden handle, they don't compare to a LogRite. I've broken a few of those wooden handles, and you go for a ride. Of the many 'hooks and peaveys I've used, the LogRites win every time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lumberjack48

I never said it didn't work good, i'm looking at the thickness of the medal where the pins and bolt go though. If it happened to get pried side ways, it would bend.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Dave Shepard

I don't think so. It's an aluminum extrusion and the sides are quite thick. I have done several things not in accordance with manufacturers specifications, and only managed to break one of the roll pins so far. :D

Jeff

Quote from: lumberjack48 on February 17, 2013, 06:57:33 PM
  I never said it didn't work good, i'm looking at the thickness of the medal where the pins and bolt go though. If it happened to get pried side ways, it would bend.

Nope, it wouldn't.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furu

Quote from: beenthere on February 17, 2013, 05:12:22 PM
Thickness of western species bark may lead to some of that.

lumberjack
QuoteIt looks awfully poor made, compared to want we used 40 years ago.

It is unfortunate that you can't give one of the logrite's a try, as I think you'd find them some superior to the 'old' ones.

I wondered if the bark thickness was the problem your comment kind of reinforces that.

I would agree anyone who thinks that it is poorly made needs to get their hands on one.  When I compare this one to my older style one I would put it up against any I have seen or tried. 
I am VERY happy with the two of them. 
I just was a bit disappointed that I was having a spot of bother in using it on larger diameter logs.  I will try the"slam the hook harder" technique before setting it.  Even if it can't do the larger diameter logs I would never give them up now that I have my hands on them.  There is a mega hook (45") that I can always go to if I find it necessary that will no doubt be able to handle the 30" logs.

Jeff

You could order a larger hook for for one of the tools you have.

Furu

Quote from: Jeff on February 17, 2013, 10:33:33 PM
You could order a larger hook for for one of the tools you have.

That is an interesting point.  I would have thought due to the required geometry of the design, that the placement of the yoke would be different for a larger hook. (I.E. the yoke would be slightly further up the body.) If that is not the case then a larger hook would be perfect remedy.

lumberjack48

The sleeve that the hook is bolted to should be adjustable, slide up an down with a quick release pin. This way you'd only need to buy one cant hook for all diameter logs.

I see they make a yellow one for the extreme user. 8)

isawlogs

Quote from: lumberjack48 on February 18, 2013, 01:28:46 PM
The sleeve that the hook is bolted to should be adjustable, slide up an down with a quick release pin. This way you'd only need to buy one cant hook for all diameter logs.

That sleeve is welded in place.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WH_Conley

I used a bunch of those old hooks. Still have 4 or 5 around the mill someplace. Most have broken handles, probably rotten by now. Nobody will touch them after I got the Logrite hooks.
Bill

lumberjack48

Quote from: isawlogs on February 18, 2013, 02:15:24 PM

That sleeve is welded in place.  ;)
I think i know that its welded in one place :o  I'm saying it should be made adjustable so you have three tools in one, i'm always stepping out of the box.

isawlogs

Well I had a peavy that the sleeve was squeezed on and not bolted through, that dam thing hurt me one time too many by turning and letting go, It now lives with someone else. I am a firm beleaver that that (Tom  ;))  sleeve needs be there and not move.. ever.
   I undersdtand that you like to think out of the box and appreciate that, it is one of the best ways of improving things that many take for granted.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

tyb525

I don't think that would work. To grip bigger logs, the actual geometry of the hook has to change, not just where it mounts to the handle.

If a log is hard to grip, try pounding the   hook in a little with a hammer.

As a testament to their strength, I have used my 4' can't hook as a pry bar to lift a log up in the mill to put blocks under it, among other things they weren't intended for. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Quote from: tyb525 on February 18, 2013, 06:34:24 PM
I don't think that would work. To grip bigger logs, the actual geometry of the hook has to change, not just where it mounts to the handle.

Ty beat me to it. Moving the collar has little to do with it. Its the shape, size and angle of attack of the hook. Nothing fits every size log, but the standard size fits most of the stuff the typical mill will handle. Guys that have big logs, get the bigger hook.

John Mc

I don't know that that would make much difference.  The size/shape of the hook is a big part of what sizes it grips.

Seems like the pin would just be a possible point of failure.

In my experience, these things are just about bomb proof.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

For bigger logs, one would need more leverage.

If one moves the hook up the handle, it ends up with less leverage so seems counter-productive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim H

One thing that helps the hook bite is keeping the point sharp. Even with the excellent geometry of the logrite hooks, when you get to the upper end of their capacity they can slip pretty easy with a dull point. I notice this most on my 48" peavey since I tend to use it on larger logs rather than grabbing another hook.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

WDH

My 78" LogRite megahook ranks among the very best things that I have ever bought.  Of course, with a manual mill, one learns to appreciate these type of things  ;D.  Now, you can get some real leverage with that big boy :).  The best thing is to have both the 60" and 78" or hydraulics  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

The Logrites I have are far superior to any wooden handled canthook I've ever used.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!