iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere 440c

Started by furltech, November 10, 2015, 09:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

ok will do so .will have to wait until monday now tommorow is my family time .

cutbank

I had a similar problem with my hood slasher with a john deere motor, it would start right up then the next it would crank over and over and not start. sometimes when it started it seemed like it was running too fast almost running away. The problem was that the shaft was broke in the injection pump and only made partial contact from rough edges where the shaft was broke. I was told the shaft broke because of water getting to the injection pump. it also made a rattling sound when running.

grassfed

That sure sounds similar and it is also what the old timer told furltech. I would have thought that if the shaft broke it would not restart but what you say makes sense cutbank.
Mike

furltech

Ok guys i changed the fuel filter and drained the tank dry put on some new chokers for a total of ten .it idled like a kitten .took it for a play run around the yard proceeded to get it stuck,to the hubs in the back yard roared and spun until i finally got out and it was working ,never missed a beat.Kinda makes me nervous feels like it is going to tip every time you back up.I  dont know what the problem is i think i am going to have to work it some and see what happens .Now to come up with a plausible story about the ruts in the yard for when momma gets home from work .Anyone wanna take a shot at that one  :D

snowstorm

Quote from: furltech on November 16, 2015, 12:20:51 PM
Ok guys i changed the fuel filter and drained the tank dry put on some new chokers for a total of ten .it idled like a kitten .took it for a play run around the yard proceeded to get it stuck,to the hubs in the back yard roared and spun until i finally got out and it was working ,never missed a beat.Kinda makes me nervous feels like it is going to tip every time you back up.I  dont know what the problem is i think i am going to have to work it some and see what happens .Now to come up with a plausible story about the ruts in the yard for when momma gets home from work .Anyone wanna take a shot at that one  :D
BIG FOOT

millcreek40

As I stated before my new to me 540b was doing the same thing.  The machnic came today. We installed a new oil gage. 50 psi at idle. We thought it had a blown head gasket so he started taking it apart.  Head gasket was blown, turbo is bad. Sleeves were scored a little so I said lets do it right & put new sleeves & Pistons. Started taking them out & found a spun rod bearing.  Mind you this motor still fired right up with no knocking sound at all. What to do know????
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

snowstorm

pull the motor take the crank out and have it ground and the head surfaced buy new deere liner kits and put it back together

millcreek40

I called nortrax today. They ONLY want $6900 for a new short block

grassfed

If the crank needs to be turned then pull the motor otherwise just put new rod bearings in. Most of the time if the sleeves need to be changed the bearings should be replaced. You said the bearing spun but you said it was not knocking so how does the crank journal look? If it doesn't need to be turned try a set of fresh bearing and take a plastigauge reading. You might be able to find .002 or .001 undersize bearings if they are a tad to loose. Oh you might want to make sure the rod on the bad journal is not tweaked; maybe when the headgasket blew it let water into that cylinder and that caused the rod to bend a bit and the bearing to fail. How is the cam?
Mike

furltech

Well did the 276 have many other applications besides the skidders .so a fellow could start looking around for a spare if i come across one cheap.what about the tranny are they prone to problems .

grassfed

The 276 is used in many applications. It is now called 4045. I don't know how similar they are swapping parts but I think that you could put a 4045 in your skidder if you needed. The trans parts are available for the most part either new or used. Many of the gears are the same as JD tractors and there are more and more aftermarket parts coming on the market. I have a parts skidder for my 440B but I bought it after I had my skidder for several years and decided that I liked it. I paid 5k for the parts skidder and I could easily fix it up for another 5K including good used tires. The best thing is having a spare part for anything that breaks. I just swapped the alternator last month. I have swapped out and axle and some other parts over the years. The thing is the Deere motor is very reliable. More than a Cummins or a Detroit. You just never know where a used machine is till you run it for a while. 
Mike

millcreek40

I just assumed if it spun a bearing that the crank would need to be turned or get another one???  Maybe not

furltech

so if i understand correctly a 4045 should bolt right up to my tranny .the rest of the stuff is easy to work around .... sizes and wiring and hoses

grassfed

Since I have never done this I can't say I am 100% certain but I am at least 80% sure it would be a simple swap. The thing is it is very easy to find good used 4-276 engines. I see them often advertised for approx $2500. Rebuild kits run around $800. The only parts that I see being hard to find are the winch control spool and maybe the shifter cam for your model. One thing that I am looking into is to see what it would take for a machinist to  take the flange from a broken skidder axle shaft and mount it to a Deere tractor axle shaft. I believe that 3020 has the same shaft on the inside it is more than long enough. 3020 shafts are plentiful and cheap so it depends on what it would cost to have the work done.
Mike

furltech

ok sounds good just trying to get as much stuff crammed in my head as i can while i think to ask

tom h

I am in the process of having the 4276t engine in my 540b skidder overhauled.John Deere wanted 1600.00 for the engine parts,my mechanic bought the parts from reliable parts for 750.00 plus 200.00 for new injectors.He said the parts were as good as jd.

furltech

Well it is good to know a rebuild seems to be within reach if i need one .Had the old girl out yesterday to try. Pulled four snigs of poplar no prob .I have run a lot of gear in the woods mostly all newer stuff and one old 230 timberjack forwarder that i owned. i must say i do like traveling through the woods in the skidder i am not sure what it is ,it just seems more connected or something .Any way enough philosophy, it ran without a hiccup yesterday we shall see what today brings .I have to work on that freespool ,never having hauled out cable before i have to assume it should be easier or i need to get tougher and maybe a touch less round  8)

furltech

Well i got the free spool working a little better and i noticed that there was oil leaking out of the swivel in the end of the winch i assume it is orings bad .does anyone happen to know what size they are off the top of your head .thanks

millcreek40

Well my motor is on the floor from the 540b. Heading out Tuesday to pick up a  reconditioned 4-276t.  6hr ride one way.  $4800 exchange. Claims that they bought out a John Deere dealer in conn & have a few complete John Deere reconditioned motors. I ask for some pictures. He said they are  mennonites & don't own a  camera. I hope I am not on a goose chase. He seems like he surely knows his John Deeres

grassfed

Does it come with an injection pump and a turbo? If it does it is a  really good deal. otherwise it is a good deal.
Mike

millcreek40

He claims its ready to install. Turbo , pump. Says he will start it on a stand and give a one year garentee     We shall see

furltech

Thanks for all the help guys .The machine had its first full day in the woods under my ownership and worked real good .Now fingers crossed it has some last in it .

Thank You Sponsors!