iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling foundation forms

Started by raycon, March 25, 2004, 06:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycon

Neighbor asked if I'd mill some lumber he could use for foundation forms. He's building a 24x24 structure.
Using his trees that were felled about a year ago or so -- has a mix of hard and softwood. (hickory, whiteoak,maple and white pine with some spruce thrown in).
Anything special about milling forms? I was just going to go 2x8 or 2x10 - length. All the logs were slated for firewood trying to get something out of nothing.
 I asked him what he wanted and he said whatever I could get him -- at the least he'll get firewood.
Lot of stuff..

Minnesota_boy

If i were milling lumber for forms for my place, I'd use the white pine if tehre was enough as it will tend to stay straighter.  Spruce would be a second choice, but only if I didn't have enought white pine.  I'd mill the hardwoods if available, but for the lumber quality you would get from them for other uses. Anything too small or crooked could be firewood.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

steveo_1

Ray, we just cut some form boards out of some old dried silver leaf poplar,if u cut them a little thick say 2 1/2" you can cut about a 1/4 inch off where the concrete is and then split the board and still get two 1" boards.I would use and old blade to do it though.We just use any kind of wood as long as its dead or knotty, if you didnt want to use it for anything else i suppose it would make good firewood.

got wood?

Thank You Sponsors!