iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Contract

Started by GF, March 26, 2004, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

Does anyone have any sample contracts I could look at for sawing?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

This is a draft of one I recently used, minus the numbers.

This agreement, by and between, ________(Customer) and __________(Sawyer), with the Wood- Mizer sawmill is as follows:

1. Sawyer agrees to cut Customer's logs at Customer's site based on the following Board Foot (BF) Charge:
A: Soft woods - Pine, Cedar, Douglas Fir etc ____ cents BF
B: Medium-Hard Wood - Red Oak, Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Hickory, Hackberry, etc.  ____ cents BF
C: Hard woods - White Oak -____ cents BF.
D: VERY Hard wood -Osage Orange, Honey Locust, etc
 ____ cents a BF.
E: Quarter Saw Medium-Hard wood - ____ cents per BF for the first 4 logs.
F: Quarter Saw Medium-Hard - ____ cents per BF for 5 or more logs.
G: Quarter Saw Hard wood- $60.00 an hour or ____ per BF. (Customer's choice prior to cutting)

A Board Foot of lumber is defined as 12"x12"x1" or 144 square inches.  All Board Foot calculations shall be done using the International ΒΌ" Log Rule for logs under 30" in diameter.  

2. In addition to above, Customer shall pay Sawyer $20.00 for deliver and locations set-up of the sawmill.  If Sawyer is required to relocate the sawmill on site, there shall be an additional charge of $15.00 per move.  In the event a saw blade is broken or damaged by foreign matter (nail, rocks, metal etc.) in Customer's log, there is a charge of $19.50 per damaged blade.

3. Sawyer will arrive at Customers location at _________ on _____, 2004 to start operation.  Customer agrees to provide personnel to assist in loading and unloading logs and lumber.  All logs shall be stacked and ready so that the sawmill can be located next to them and allow continuous loading of mill by rolling logs onto the loading hooks without moving the mill.  Lumber shall be stacked in a manner that permits continuous cutting operations.

4. Payment in full shall be made upon completion of the day of cutting.  Payment shall be in either cash or check form.  Any checks that are returned for insufficient funds will require an additional $25.00 fee to be applied to the amount owed.         

5. It is understood by the Customer that log handling and cutting may be hazardous.  Customer shall be responsible for the conduct of helpers and observers and agrees to hold Sawyer and the Wood-Mizer sawmill manufacture harmless for any injury or damage whatsoever to helpers or observers arising out of operation of the mill and the handling of logs and lumber.  It shall be Customer's duty and obligation to keep all children and observers out of the work area.  Customer represents that he is the owner of the logs and/or has the authority to enter into this Agreement on behalf of all interested parties.

Dated this ________________day of ___________, 20___.

Sawyer: ___________________________________

Customer: __________________________________

Captain

Majesty Stables

TIMBER PRO DIVISION
Custom Sawmilling Contract

This agreement is between CRAIG BLAKE (Sawyer) and

___________________________________      (Customer)

Sawyer agrees to cut  logs at customer's site at a rate(s) of :______________________________________
Prices will be modified higher for dirt and mud.  The prices are based on scaled volume, International Board Foot Scale.  The customer realizes that actual derived volume of lumber will be less based on log quality, defects, and dimension of materials cut.  Logs will be scaled by sawyer and quantity of board feet given to customer before start of job.
Customer will be charged a minimum fee of $50 for transportation and setup.  In addition, customers outside the locality of Norton, MA will be charged $1.25 per mile traveled, one way, each day of job.  Additional charges:
Move mill to different location on site - $25 per move
Any blade damage due to striking foreign object in customer's log - min $25, max $75
Trimming (limbs, butt swell, oversize) , debarking or cleaning dirty logs, metal removal - $50/hr
Sticker-stacking lumber - $.10/BF based on log scale

Customer agrees all logs 30 inches in diameter and less shall be staged on skid logs a minimum of 8 inches in height and positioned to provide continuous loading without moving the mill.  Sawyer may be contracted to stage these logs at a rate of  $50/hr.  Logs over 30 inches may be milled in place, however, additional mill moving fees may be required.  

Customer agrees to provide labor for tailing lumber and/or slabs and to assist sawyer in loading logs. If said customer is unable to find or provide labor they may pay a sawyer suggested laborer at the rate of $15/hr.

It is understood by the customer that log handling and cutting can be hazardous.  Customer shall be responsible for conduct of helpers and observers, and agrees to hold the sawyer and the sawmill manufacturer harmless for any injury or damage to helpers or observers arising around activities surrounding the sawmill.  It will be the customer's duty and obligation to keep children and observers to the right side of the sawmill operator and out of the immediate work area when the mill is operating.   In addition the laborer must stay clear of sawmill tracks until lumber is free and ready for removal.  

Payment in full is expected immediately at end of job or every Saturday, whichever comes first, cash or credit card.  Checks are accepted by special arrangement only.

The customer represents that he or she is the owner of the logs and/or has the authority to enter into this agreement on behalf of all interested parties.

Customer acknowledges receiving a copy of "Home Drying Lumber"

Signed      ________________________________(sawyer)     Date_____________________________

________________________________(customer)

Jason_WI

Contract??

If it ever gets to where I need a contract to cut wood for someone else then thats when I'll sell the mill or stop custom sawing.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Jeff

Without one you may run the chance of not having a mill to sell. :-/

Oregon_Sawyer

In over 5 years of custom sawing on the weekends. I have never had a written contract.  As of right now I have only had one person not pay me all that is owed and that is only 100.00.

Years ago I had dump trucks.  The only time I was cheated was the only job I had a contract on.

My father told me growing up the only thing we really own is our word.

Loren

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Jeff

My worry would be more on the liability end of someone getting hurt. The disclaimer part of the contract

ARKANSAWYER

My contract is modled after the ones that WoodMizer gave me when I got my mill.  I will not saw with out it.  99% of the time it is a waste of ink and time but as a rule I will not saw without it.
  Case in point on about my 200th job I pull in and set up and start sawing after the usual chit chat and the signing of the contract.  About the 3rd log, up flys a pickup and out jumps the man from next door.  Seems a few of the trees felled for this project came from across the property line.  Words were said that made one glad that no women folk were present and I started packing up.  The man I was sawing for got upset with me but I said I would be back when this deal was settled.  The State Forestry boys came and visted and the Prosecuting Attorney needed some of my time and because of my contract that states (and is signed  by the customer) that they own the logs I was cleared of any wrong doing.  The customer had to pay twice the fair market value of the logs and I sawed them up.  Another time a check for $801 did not clear and when I went back to collect I was told where I could stick that useless piece of paper since they had nailed the boards up already.  Contract and check went to Prosecuting Attorney and a Deputy brought my cash and $50 fee to me a week later.
  A man who sticks with his word should never be afraid to sign a paper stating what he is willing to do.   Alot of business in these parts are done on a mans word and when folks know you they do not mind putting their X on your paper if it will make your wife happy.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

chet

I think if it really can down to it. If someone got hurt as the "result" of being or working around your mill, you are still in for one heck of a court battle no matter how many disclaimers you had signed.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Geeee, Loren, you have not sent me a bill, but that was only 5 years ago, wasn't? 8)

My father said about the same thing, but I have not faired as well as Loren.  I have about $10,000 in receiveables for the last 6 months. :'(

I reckon I will have to get my friends with the pinstripted suits and fadora hats, that carry violin cases, to make them a visit. ;D
Frank Pender

Jason_WI

Jeff,

I have a million bux liability policy on my mill. You can have all the disclamers signed that you want it will all boil down to how many lawers thay have on there team. If they suck that dry then they can take my measily $5000 band mill....outa my cold dead fingers..... I offer ear and eye protection devices before I start milling. It is up to them if they want to wear it.

Loren

Totally agree with you. So far I have been lucky and have hever been left hung to dry on a job.

Frank,

Sounds like you need some "persuaders" to help you collect.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!