iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan HARD to pull start

Started by brbooth, October 19, 2017, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brbooth

Greetings all...

I'm in a bit of a bind. I purchased a Poulan 2775 2.8 C.I. Farmhand chainsaw back in 1999. All in all, it has been a pretty good 'around the property' saw. This year I found the fuel line had dry rotted and needed replacement. That was a heck of a job... little bitty hose, tight spaces, big fingers... Y'all know the deal. Got the job done, saw fired up and ran fine, cut like I remembered.

However, it is extremely difficult to pull the starter cord, to the point sometimes it 'hangs' without fully turning over the engine. I replaced the sparkplug, and while doing so, with the plug removed, pulled the cord, it turned over easily. Upon installing the new plug, it is extremely difficult to pull, as if there is too much compression. I'm at my wits end.

Before I haul it to the scrap yard, or take it to a service center, I thought I would ask if any forum members may have an idea what is causing the above mentioned problem, and the course of action to remedy. I'll repair if I can, but will also buy a new saw if necessary.

Thanks in advance. ~ Robin

I respect your opinion, but not when I know better.

Fish, or cut bait.

sablatnic

Maybe your starter pulley has cracked or split.

Jack S

Is there a chance that it might be flooded with fuel and hydraulicing. with the plug out crank it over and see if excess fuel blows out

Al_Smith

The starter pulley ,depending on how it's made might have egg shaped or broken the bushing ,if so equipted  causing the starter pulley to run eccentric..Some had replaceable bushings some did not .

brbooth

Thanks Y'all... gives me something to do tomorrow... along with trimming pecan trees, getting moss out of them, planting onions, setting garlic, burning up the lot, new pull rope on the garden tiller... it never ends...

Fish, or cut bait.

kenskip1

I would suspect that a small piece of the rotted gas line made it's way beneath the needle and seat,allowing a small bit of mix to seep into the cylinder and causing the hard to pull.Hydrolocking I believe it is called.
Also could be the rope is worn and binding itself in the recoil spool.With the spark plug removed there is no resistance and all appears fine.
I would drain and run all the mix out of it and let it set until the next time you need it. Give this a try,Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

brbooth

Thanks, Y'all. I still haven't torn the saw down, but at least I have a few more ideas of what to check. Got the tiller repaired, got the weed whacker power head repaired, got a leaf blower with a torn gasket on the carb for today once it warms up a bit, then onto the chainsaw. I'll let Y'all know how it goes.

Fish, or cut bait.

Thank You Sponsors!