iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 201 differential

Started by Retired-Jack, January 30, 2011, 12:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retired-Jack

I may soon need to replace tj 201 differential (knock on wood). I did find www.rightparts.com for aftermarket parts suppliers.  I read a post that the 201,205,208 and C-4 had the same differential. I regularly check out e-bay and Kijiji looking for an older skidder that I could buy for parts. I think the options are find used parts, or buy replacement parts.  

Any ideas what else may have built with the same differential as the 1963 Tj 201?  Army trucks, buses, tractors

Throwing it out there because I don't think aftermarket parts is going to get me a complete differential.
Tj 201 Patu loader SMG Sawmill

give timberparts in sussex new brunswick a call.  ps still workin on that manual

bushmechanic

Hello retired- jack while all of the parts will fit from those rear ends you have to very careful of your gear ratio,they are not all the same.You can find the ratio stamped on the end of the pinion where the nut is for the yoke.If you can't see it there or it is rubbed off or rusted beyond reconition then you can get it by counting the number of teeth on the pinion gear and the number of teeth on the crown gear and dividing them into each other.For example a Timberjack 208D will have a pinion with 5 teeth and a crown with 39,take your crown number and divide it into the pinion this will give you the ratio of this differential.39divided by 5 equals 7.80 but I think your differential has a pinion with 6 teeth and I can't remember the crown number,I do know the 201B is different than the others.Also anyone who deals in S&S truck parts can get all you need to rebuild that differential.If you get a diff from something else and put in your skidder then you will have to swap out the non-spin in the center of the diff or it may have no pull situation on all wheels.It's a Rockwell diff and I have found them in all kinds of older trucks and buses mostly around the three ton range.   

Retired-Jack

I did get a manual from R.Puttn. It has diagrams and numbers.   The book has a lot of part numbers, but my tj201 could be different and I will have to get in there and find that number on the pinion shaft. 

The part book lists a lot of part numbers: Part#  36173 Drive Pinion - 5.833 Ratio

Thanks for the tips and directions,  I think I am on the right track.
Tj 201 Patu loader SMG Sawmill

a old timberjack

good luck. mine blew apart a few weeks back on the front end. $1,400.00 bucks later and $175.00 and for the 8, 3/4 x 9 in. bolts to put the axle back up on the cradle, you will be back in buisiness, thats with you doing all the work. oh o mite add, my locker was good and i did not have to buy one, the best price i found for one of them was $890.00 not fun, but it goes with this game. i should add that this fix was on a 225 tj.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Thank You Sponsors!