iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

66" Cannon Double-ended Milling Bar Drive Link Count

Started by wills swamp, May 29, 2019, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wills swamp

We have been running a band-mill for awhile but decided to get a chainsaw mill to slab wider logs. Bought a Stihl MS880 and a 56" Granberg Mill Mark IV. Went with a Cannon 66" double ended milling bar because the Granberg bar was on backorder. Was setting up the mill to run with the helper handle with roller and found the recommended drive link count for .404 pitch was 180 drive links. But when assembled the space between the end of the bar and helper handle roller was greater then the recommended 1/8", the space was closer to 1",with all the adjustment taken up in the power head. Called around to other suppliers and got 3 different recommended drive link counts (178,179,180). So I'm going to have a couple drive links removed from the two loops I already purchased. I assume the components to reassemble the loops of .404 pitch are different then the parts to assemble .375 pitch chain. Is this correct? Thanks.
wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

lxskllr

If you're asking about tiestraps and whatnot, they should be pitch specific. To assemble .404 chain, you'd need .404 components.

Brad_bb

I had a box of unlooped .404 cross cut chain that had a bag of half a dozen or so mending links (is that what you call them?).  So you can go to the Stihl dealer and get some.  I have an old granberg 66" bar (that was originally a .058 groove that I had opened to .063), and it takes 178 links.  As I found out recently, as the chain stretches(rivets wear actually), and you run out of adjustment at the saw head, you can use the extra tensioner on the helper handle if you have it, or you can remove a drive link.  So what I'm saying is that you will need the ability to rivet mending links to modify chain.  I don't have the extra tensioner, so I just had to remove a drive link last week.  I am on my 7th log, before I had to do this.  

Additionally, you do need to check the chain tension after every slabbing cut, and tighten as needed.

After each cut you need to 
1. Shut off your auxillary oiler.
2.Check chain tension
4.Add fuel
5. Add oil

After every 3 slabs or so, remove your intake air filter and blow it out. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

wills swamp

wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!