iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did a bit of parbuckling...

Started by DanG, February 22, 2006, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

One of my tree service guys called with a "Treecyclable" pine he was taking down yesterday.  I went over there and found that I just about had more truck than he had yard.  I finally worked the trailer in beside the butt log and put the truck down in the driveway, and it loaded up in the traditional manner.  I repositioned the trailer beside the top log, and there was nowhere to put the truck, due to a six-foot dropoff down to the busy road.  Had to put the truck on the same side of the trailer as the log, and this is how we worked it out;

Here's the situation.

The rigging.

Halfway up.

Loaded. ;D

The butt log is 24" on the small end, and 16' long.  The top log is 18' long.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

farmerdoug

Nice job, Dang
A couple of more to cut for lumber for the house. :)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

getoverit

smiley_applause

Outstanding job DanG !!

You make it look too easy  ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Kevin

That's using the old nogg'n eh?
Thanks for the pictures, good job!

rebocardo

Thanks for the excellent pictures! You make it look so easy.

DanG

Thanks guys.  I accidentally taught myself something with that log.  Notice that the ramp to the rear is set up shorter than the other one?  I did that because the small end was closer to the trailer, but it worked out well.  The big end naturally rolls further with each revolution, so the short ramp gave the small end less distance to travel, and they both arrived at the top at the same time. 8) 8)  I had helpers at both ends to keep it straight, but they never had to touch it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Murf

Dat's da kind a helper I like to be.  :D

Good job o' enjineering der DanG  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

Good job DanG. See'n as you mentioned a 'busy highway below' , did you loose a few more grey ones on top? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Naw, they was already gone. :-\  It was pretty tight in there, though.  The hindmost wheel  of the trailer was hangin' over the edge. :o :o

Murf, that helper is Lee Mason.  He's the one what clim up there and topped & limbed the tree before they dropped it.  He looked a little pale when he first come down, but he got his color back right quick. :D

Murf

An' Lee can keep right on climbin' em.  :o

Da only way I is gonna' see a treetop is lookin down as I fly by it.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

badpenny

Good on ya.  Where there's a will, there's a way
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

stumpy

Looks good. That's the way I load my logs as well. An idea for what it's worth, I always had trouble getting the log to roll up straight(most of the time I'm alone). What I do is take a chain and hook one end at the top of one ramp, loop it down on the ground at the end of the ramps, and attach the other end at the top of the other ramp. I then roll the log onto that loop and put my winch cable over the log and hook it to the loop. It keeps the log going up straight caus it's being supported by the chain at both ends of the log. I have loaded some monsters this way by myself with very little effort. One key is that the log chain must be long enough so that after you roll the log onto it, the loop is exposed for hooking on the winch hook.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

red

does this mean the infamous

DanG- Deadheader log lift is obselete...or just resting
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

isawlogs

Nice work Dang .. Using your nuggen to get that log to load straight sure paid off , I see you are using one of those oneway trailers  :D  Sure is a good looking one .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I think DanG's log lift or trailor might have given out on them logs. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Red, the infamous DanG-Deadheader Log Loading Trailer is resting...upon a broken spring. :-\  I couldn'a used it here anyway, as it sits kinda low and the terrain wouldn'a allowed it. 

SD, the aforementioned trailer/loader has loaded bigger stuff than that little puckle. ;D 

Marcel, whaddya mean, "one-way"?  That is a universal "all-way" trailer.  It goes forward when going forward, and the other 3 directions when in reverse. ::) :D :D  BTW, that's the famous $300 trailer.  Ain't other people's desperation a wonderful thing? ;D

SwampDonkey

Well I wouldn't like to dare ya, cause you'de try anything. ;D
I hope that puckle saws out nice. ;)

Kirk_Allen

I loaded some WHOPPERS today using the same technique. After several folks who wanted stuff cut in exchange for hauling them gave up the ghost and said they could not be loaded full lenght I just had to show them ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14452.140

I didnt get any pics of them coming up the ramp but I still have three more full lenght whoppers to get so I will take some then. 

Kirk_Allen

These are the logs I loaded yesterday with the parbuckle technique.  I have loaded 28 trees in the last four days with this technique and done it all by myself so for those who don't have a loader to load logs, don't be discouraged. Where there is a will there is a way!

This is a 30 foot White Oak

SwampDonkey

Kirk, that's awesom work and nice wood. But, I gotta ask. Are Logrite's tools that plentiful down there, that you can strew them all over the yard, and run over them and such? :D :D  ;D ;)

Kirk_Allen

You never have enough good tools to work with.  I have the A.S.S and the 60" cant hoooks and you can rest assured, although they may get thrown on the ground and tossed from one side of the log to another, they NEVER get ran over ;D

Frank_Pender

If he ruins any, I can always sell him some new.   8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Kirk_Allen

For those that asked about how I do my parbuckling here you go. 

If you look at the pics in #18 I will try to make sense of how I do it.

I use 3/8ths wire rope (looks like cable but they call it wire rope. Its supposed to be better than cable)

I hook a chain (anchore point)to the pull side of the trailer (opposite of the ramps) and then I run my pull line from the truck, across the trailer deck, over and back under the log and secure the pull line to the chain I anchored on the side of the trailer. Make sure the anchor point is as far on the pull side as possible so the log will keep rolling across the trailer. 

Once all is conected I simply back the truck up and the log starts rolling up the ramps.  If the big end gets the log off center to fast I use my winch line in the same manner and put it around the small end of the log (tree ;D) and then start winching and it brings the small end back equal with the big end. 

You wont have this problem unless you tring to load 20+ foot logs or they have huge butt swells.   ;D

I have 4x4's on the deck of the trailer for the logs to roll onto as it gives space to get the cable back out from under the log when I am done. 

My goal is to mount the winch on the trailer so I dont have to disconect the trailer. 

What ever you use to pull the logs, winch, tractor, truck etc, make sure you pull from the opposite side of the ramps.  If something breaks that log will roll and when you get several thousand pounds rolling down a ramp it goes a long way and if your pulling from that side with a vehicle then your in the path of that rolling log. 

You could use snatch blocks to pull from the back or off to the side and I have done that before but I prefer pulling from the opposite side of the ramps. 

If this doesnt make sense let me know.

Thank You Sponsors!